X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

no way to copy

Hi everybody :-)
    I tried with three external hdd to copy my home of kubuntu 14.04. The screen always writes that the file of the external hdd cannot get opened. Please what is wrong?

Hi
    could you please supply those who are much smarter than the old woodsmoker a little more info?

Such as:

What application are you using for the migration? or are you using terminal commands?

Is there any chance that the drives have some kind of "hard" stuff on them like some kind of UEFI that was left over because they were originally an OS?

just a couple of suggestions

woodjustahardwarekindaguysmoke
    sigpic
    Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

Hi woodsmoke,
      Thank you very much for your answer.
      I try to copy files by choosing them with the mouse and moving them to the hdd, which are formatted in ntfs and which have never been OS.
      They also have much free place.

Comment

how did you mount the drives ,,,,,,, if you did it in dolphin (click the drives icon in the "places panel" ) you should have been able to just drag and drop the home folder .

if you did it on the command line with sudo then you will half to give your user write permissions to the folder you mounted it to .

VINNY
        i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
        16GB RAM
        Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Hi
          thank you very much for the prompt and explanatory response.

CHECK VINNY'S REPLY BELOW MINE.

However in the OP you wrote:

copy my home of kubuntu 14.04.
          the pertinent terms are "my home".

In the post prior to this one you wrote:

copy files by choosing them with the mouse and moving them to the hdd
          the pertinent terms are "copy" " with mouse" and "moving".

The two outlined situations are not completely congruent.

the "my home" folder has a lot of...well...lets say for the sake of convenience... a lot of "pointers" to things on the hard drive that are inextricably tied to that particular hard drive.

Depending on the application you might use, such as Dolphin, and depending on how the move was physically made such as dragging or using the menu system will "complain" that it can't move a file that is "tied" to the hard drive and will just stop.

I do this all the time only I do not do it the "elegant way" of Linux people who are much smarter than me.

AGAIN...The important terms are "copy" and "move"..

Copy leaves all the important stuff, such as "the pointers" on the original drive.

Move tries to take things that are specifically tied to the original drive and put them on the new drive which the file system, Dolphin, has no way of doing.

I COPY my "documents" "downloads" "pictures" etc. etc. to the external drive by dragging... the default is to copy... and it takes a LOOOONNNGGG time because Dolphin has to "verify" that both files on the two drives are, indeed, identical. "Move" is usually faster but... no "verification".

After I COPY the files then I go back and delete them, not the settings, and everything was very easily done, although time consuming.

ALSO...After I have copied all of the stuff then, if I am going to close out the original drive and install another OS, I will copy the settings, and there are specific commands for such.

So, dunno, but that is just my take on the situation.

So, for those much smarter than me, could you please describe whether you are "just trying to copy files", or are you wanting to copy files AND settings?

woodVINNEYISSMARTERTHANMEREADHISREPLYsmoke
          Last edited by woodsmoke; Aug 07, 2017, 02:17 PM.
          sigpic
          Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

Originally posted by woodsmoke View Post
            "just trying to copy files", or are you wanting to copy files AND settings?
            it should not matter woody it will all copy over .

VINNY
            16GB RAM

Comment

correctamundo, it will copy ok.

woodwisheshewasassmartasVinnysmoke
              sigpic
              Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

Originally posted by woodsmoke View Post
                correctamundo, it will copy ok.

woodwisheshewasassmartasVinnysmoke
                ROTFLMAO ,,,,,you kill me woody

what was that the red Chinese were DLing from you

VINNY
                16GB RAM

Comment

Thank you very much woodsmoke & vinnywright!
                  I tried several times to copy, therefore I*tried a few times with the file which has my name, and the other times with all the files included in the latter one.
                  I never understood well what is mounting. The partitionmanager shows a padlock under "mount".
                  I also don't understand "click the drives icon in the "places panel" ". What is the places panel please?

Comment

Thank you very much woodsmoke & vinnywright!
                    I tried several times to copy, therefore I*tried a few times with the file which has my name, and the other times with all the files included in the latter one.
                    I never understood well what is mounting. The partitionmanager shows a padlock under "mount".
                    I also don't understand "click the drives icon in the "places panel" ". What is the places panel please?

Comment

Originally posted by nicrnicr View Post
                      I never understood well what is mounting.
                      how did you access the external drive ,,,,,that is get it to show up in dolphin.

Originally posted by nicrnicr View Post
                      in this screen shot (sorry it's an old one to show video playing as a wallpaper )

if you look at dolphin , on the right side ,,,,is the places panel ,,,,and the curser is pointing at an external drive .

VINNY
                      16GB RAM

Comment

in the time frame of 2006/2007.

woodwasalsoapproactedbyGoogletouseitintheirfirstma ppingvansbutitwasreallytoocumbersometheyjustoptedf ormultipledisplayssmoke

p.s. actually later "the men in black" came back and told me that they were going to try it in some kind of "navigation" software on ...blew me away...boats that were used in drug smuggling interdiction... they wanted me to possibly be a consultant...never heard back...

and a telephony company in France attempted to put it on a very early smartphone, didn't work...

it really was designed for a large touch screen menu system, like a monitor.

DID NOT MEAN TO HIJACK THE THREAD
                        sigpic
                        Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

In my case, the external hdd are mounted.

Thanks to this thread I learned what a places panel is. You learned me that it is possible to see in the places panel if an external hdd is mounted are not.

Comment

The reason is that the file which has my name in home cannot be opened, as the screen put it, thought I extended all its authorizations.

Comment

Please, would somebody be able to help me?

Comment

Working...
                              X