Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

kernel error - mtd device must be supplied

(device name is empty)

I get above mentioned error during boot recently and have no clue what it means.

The odd thing today was I opened Ksystemlog which showed the error twice (like on boot) and when I started Firefox one of those errormessages disappeared from the log.

The error started to show last week and starting with today it showed twice on boot.

sudo dmesg -H | grep -i mtd shows that it seems to belong to the module mtdpstore.

[ +0,000436] systemd[1]: Starting Load Kernel Module mtdpstore...
    [ +0,000075] mtd device must be supplied (device name is empty)
    [ +0,054042] mtd device must be supplied (device name is empty)

Unless you see it say "error" or "warning", this can be ignored, if you are not having any problems. It is informational, not an error, and probably some bug is allowing this to pop up on your screen. Unless you are running things from an SDcard, or USB stick or something I think, it should be safe to ignore for the moment. if you want to see more, you can hit the escape key after the grub menu to view all the normally hidden messaging, and see what was happening just before this pops up, or use KSystemLog to seach for it

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Memory_Technology_Device

A few users on ubuntu's forums are seeing similar messages in recent days, as well as on AskUbuntu, though most of them are not having any actual symptoms or problems.

Comment

Well it says "error" under priority.

Before it says:
      Adding 2097148k swap on /swapfile. Priority:-2 extents:6 across:2260988k SSFS
      But this is just information rather than error.

I did not change anything, nor install anything but the updates.

Comment

On my 22.04, executing sudo dmesg -H | grep -i mtd shows the same results. Ignore it. My system runs perfectly.
        Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
        "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Working...
        X