This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi GG
    I dont really have more info on 'mangled' other than what I described. Is there a tool to find out more?

No the drives are ok, they are quite old and have seen some use. But, they work fine on everything else just this one machine.

Sadly your in depth post went mostly over my head as I don't yet know the terminology and app names..

I was hoping there were some settings I could check or a config file to look at? I have had trouble with mounting and partitioning on this particular machine. I just want the drive to pop open when I slot it on and it be able to read write. Not boot from, or encryption or anything fancy.

Oh and chines should have been Chinese

Comment

are you saying that ,,,,,,,IF you are on "that PC" and looking at your desktop ,,,,then plug in a USB stick ,,, the device notifier dose not pop up and ask if you want to open it in your file manager.

VINNY
      i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
      16GB RAM
      Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Originally posted by vinnywright View Post
        are you saying that ,,,,,,,IF you are on "that PC" and looking at your desktop ,,,,then plug in a USB stick ,,, the device notifier dose not pop up and ask if you want to open it in your file manager.

VINNY
        Hi Vinny
        At first it will open it. By ;first; I mean right after re partitioning it and formatting. Then when I take it to another machine i get: On windows it sees the drive but thinks it is unformatted. (it should be, or was, fat32) On Linux I get varying problems including a drive full of files with Chinese characters, failure to read to's and failure to right to's.

The Kubunti PC is screwing up both fat32 and ext4 drives on all 3 USB ports (2 ina panel on the front and one into the mother board)

I think its configuration/ setup of the mount points/mbr/partition table/whatever the right term is in linux/ which the linux machine is using to run the USB drives. Does that sound far off?

Comment

This is interesting, a few years old but still,
          https://arstechnica.com/information-...jumps-airgaps/

I wonder if things like this explain those used spaces on some hdd's that are hard to get rid of? I understand that Linux machines don't get viruses and are impossible to infect and no body would ever even try to write one before you mention that fact gents ;-)

Comment

Working...
          X