No announcement yet.

Kubuntu won't wake after systemctl suspend, but does after sudo pm-suspend

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[SOLVED] Kubuntu won't wake after systemctl suspend, but does after sudo pm-suspend

Hello all!

This is my first time posting on these forums and I hope you can help me. I'm seeing that when I trigger `systemctl suspend` and try to wake my machine that the screen is black and everything is unresponsive, even though the machine wakes (fans blow, RGB keyboard lights up, etc.).

However, this is not the case when I issue `sudo pm-suspend` and when my machine wakes everything is normal.

Any help would be appreciated. Here's my basic specs:

I did some more digging and found this article: https : //forums. developer. nvidia. com/t/ fixed-suspend-resume-issues-with-the-driver-version-470/187150/3

I followed the steps to disable the nvidia suspend, hibernate, and resume services and now `systemctl suspend` works perfectly!

Thanks for your attention to this issue.

Comment

Nice job figuring this out on your own. Really. There are so many variables when it comes to anyones experienced issues in Linux, that it can be extremely frustrating when those you ask don't have the answer. It is rare however, that an issue is so unique that an answer simply does't exist. Thanks for sharing how you resolved this one.
      Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
      "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Having been a Nvidia graphics card user for many years now, I have always avoided hibernate/suspend/resume on my linux machines because there have always been issues. After reading the link you posted, I might try it again and see how it works out nowadays. I generally just set the monitor to power off after a length of time and turn it back on when I return to it. If I am leaving for a extended periods I power down my machine and power up when I return. I am using a newer Nvidia driver though, so wondering what impact that might have on this information. Will have to do some research. Thanks for posting this.

Comment

Thank you both for your words of encouragement and thanks.

My Nvidia card recently went out of support (or so I believe) and I was recommended to stay at the 470 driver to keep compatibility with my card; I think this issue is in part why I 'need' to use this work around in order to suspend my system properly. If I had a newer card, perhaps I could update to a newer driver and this might be a moot issue.

I'm currently in the market for an AMD card to try things out because the grass is always greener .

Comment

I have the MSI gtx 1650 ventus, which is a budget gtx, 4gb ram. It runs most games on Windows. I would consider MSI Gaming AMD Radeon RX 6500 XT 64-bit 4GB or the GIGABYTE Radeon RX 6500 XT Eagle 4G if I were switching to Radeon. Both are powerful enough to run anything you can throw at them. 190 to 215 USD. If you wanted more onboard ram for some reason, 8gb is about double the price. Not necessary for most games in my experience, especially if you have ample system RAM installed.

Comment

Working...
            X