• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[QUOTE=SumBloke;403105]
    Originally posted by vinnywright View Post
    your attachment link is broken .

[ATTACH=CONFIG]7092[/ATTACH]
    coment out "#" or remove the "new partition" line ,,,it is not necessary or being used as it is totally wrong .

use the "blkid"command to see that the UUID you blurred out is correct for the partition .

VINNY
    i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
    16GB RAM
    Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Thanks Vinny I checked that UID and its ok. I removed that new partition line and rebooted (Did that line get there by me trying to mount the USB somehow?)
      On reboot now i get emergency mode again (eventually!) and the error message:

{2.975300] tpm tpm0: A TPM error (6) occurred attempting to read a pcr value
      {3.067419] tpm tpm0: A TPM error (6) occurred attempting to read a pcr value

the boot sequence gets past the decryption stage, I can successfully decrypt the drive on boot so the encryption aspect doesnt seem to be a problem. It must be able to see the drive. And the partition as well correct?

On reboot I ran recover mode and then fsck which paused for a few minutes with the error "mount: special device /dev/sbd1 does not exist"

Then continued to:

[Time ] Timed out waiting for device dev-sbd1.device.
      [DEPEND] Dependency failed for /cdrom
      [DEPEND] Dependency failed for local file systems.

and then continued until it froze at:
      [ OK ] Reached target network }

NOw I cant get out of fsck!
      This is difficult!

Thanks very much for your help

Comment

Update: The TPM error is solved. It was caused by a security setting in the bios.

Did that fstab output look ok apart from that last line about the empty partition (which I've now removed)?

Comment

no ,,,remove the cdrom as well you don't need the cd drive trying to load at boot.

VINNY
          16GB RAM

Comment

Originally posted by vinnywright View Post
            no ,,,remove the cdrom as well you don't need the cd drive trying to load at boot.

VINNY
            HI Vinny, that WAS IT!

Thanks so much, your a genius my friend!

I never thought Id be so happy to see my desktop again!

I must have added those 2 lines somehow when trying to format my USB stick. How could that have happened? From working on the wrong drive? I doubt it as I was very careful and have experience of this kind of work on Windows so I'm not sure how I managed that. Any obvious pitfalls I might have fell into?

Anyway, thanks again Vinny
            Last edited by SumBloke; Aug 07, 2017, 11:12 AM. Reason: spelling

Comment

you are welcome ,,,,,,,,your /etc/fstab would not have been auto updated with that kind of thing ,,,,,,,,,,you did it your self .

VINNY
              16GB RAM

Comment

I think it was to do with trying to set the USB drive to be mounted on boot, that added the lines to the fstab. Just hacking around trying different things
                Could be a faulty usb drive, Ive had a lot of trouble with 2 though which makes me wonder wth!

Cheers Vinny

Comment

Originally posted by SumBloke View Post

I think it was to do with trying to set the USB drive to be mounted on boot, that added the lines to the fstab. Just hacking around trying different things
                  Could be a faulty usb drive, Ive had a lot of trouble with 2 though which makes me wonder wth!

Cheers Vinny
                  most computers made in the last 10 years or so will have an Fkey to press to get a 1 time boot menu of drives attached to them ,,,if the USB is plugged in at boot it will show in the menu

this Fkey MUST be pressed before the post screen disappears... some BIOS's have the option to disabel the post screen ,,,,,,maby your is.

VINNY
                  16GB RAM

Comment

Working...
                  X