Focus on password box without click.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Focus on password box without click.

On the Kubuntu login screen, with a single user, there is the password box in the middle of the screen. I need the cursor to be active in that box, so I can enter the text with the keyboard, without clicking on it.

In Cinnamon the box is focus by default, just like it is on the Kubuntu lock screen. TAB key not work.
    Is there a way? Thanks.

1. When you go to System Settings> Startup and Shutdown> Login Screen (SDDM), which theme is selected?

2. Also, what happens when you press "ENTER" while on the login screen?

3. What happens when you just start typing on the login screen?

I believe looking at the QT code for most of them that they are written to focus on the password box by default. It may be only after the user is selected the first time and logs in, if it is set to automatically select that user the next time, then the second time you log in the password box should be selected focus by default and you can just start typing the password.
    Last edited by rab0171610; Jun 13, 2022, 11:35 AM.

Comment

I agree with rab0171610; the password box has focus by default, at least with the default installation settings (default themes, etc.).
      Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
      "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Technical info from Breeze SDDM theme @ /usr/share/sddm/themes/breeze/Login.qml:
        Code:
         loginButton.forceActiveFocus();
        loginRequest(username, password);
        }

PlasmaComponents3.TextField {
        id: userNameInput
        font.pointSize: fontSize + 1
        Layout.fillWidth: true

text: lastUserName
        visible: showUsernamePrompt
        focus: showUsernamePrompt && !lastUserName //if there's a username prompt it gets focus first, otherwise password does
        placeholderText: i18nd("plasma_lookandfeel_org.kde.lookandfeel", "Username")

onAccepted:
        if (root.loginScreenUiVisible) {
        passwordBox.forceActiveFocus
        So I think once you have selected a user and that user becomes default, the password box will automatically get focus from that point on. That doesn't help much if your tab key does not work. You can either look into getting a new keyboard or remapping another key temporarily to tab, if that is even possible, to get a default user set up and then password box should have focus by default from that point on.

Comment

Not stated, and I don’t assume, but have you just tried typing your pwd and pressing Enter?

Comment

The selected Theme is "Brisa".
            If I type ENTER nothing happens.
            If I type my password and then ENTER, nothing happens either.
            If I type TAB+ENTER several times, at some point the system goes to sleep or shuts down, without any icon being marked, focused or highlighted in any way.
            The password box automatically focuses if I click anywhere on the screen, you don't have to click exactly on the box.
            If I don't click, sooner or later the screen goes black. To return to the login screen it is necessary to move the mouse or click. It is useless to type any key.

(Thank you very much for taking an interest in my problem. In any case, I have a mouse and I can use it, in fact on several occasions I am forced to use it. If there is no solution, it does not matter. They have configured me a set of keyboard shortcuts and apparently Plasma is very good with it.)

Excuse the bad English, blame Google.

Comment

I am assuming brisa is thema brisa/breeze theme? It should not be having this problem. I can tell you that the behavior you are experiencing is not normal. I don't have any troubleshooting suggestions off the top of my head. If I come across anything I will let you know. I can say that SDDM does not store much in the home directory so I doubt it is likely there is a configuration file in your home directory affecting the behavior of the login screen.
              One thing I can suggest is installing an alternative SDDM theme, either through kde store or synaptic/muon or your favorite package manager and trying an alternative login theme to see if the behavior is repeated. If so, then the problem is likely with your SDDM configuration or installation (possibly corrupt.) Try another theme (elarun, maui, maldives, maya, lubuntu, etc) and let us know if the problem is the same with the new themes.

Comment

Originally posted by rodfartam View Post
                The selected Theme is "Brisa".
                First, what Theme is this for? The only Brisa Theme I find via Google, is Brisa QTcurve: A theming and window decoration engine for unifying Qt and GTK-based applications look. It's old; very old, being last updated 6 years ago! Second, where did you get Brisa from? How did you install it?

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog View Post
                  First, what Theme is this for?
                  Originally posted by rab0171610 View Post
                  I am assuming brisa is thema brisa/breeze theme?
                  I agree here, I didn't catch that part at first.

Brisa= Breeze, in Spanish.

Another thing we are missing is the SDDM version (or rather the Kubuntu version) If the user is on 20.04 (and version 18.1), they may be experiencing a bug

https://github.com/sddm/sddm/issues/612
                  https://github.com/sddm/sddm/issues/614
                  https://github.com/sddm/sddm/issues/1171

Though these seem to possibly be related to multiple monitors, not everyone sees this behavior.
                  Anything after Focal comes with SDDM version 0.19, which may or may not exhibit this. I don't, when switching back to the stock Breeze theme.

Comment

Please, what do you mean by "SDDM version"?
                    I have a clean install of Kubuntu 22.04.
                    Thanks for getting involved, seriously, but please remember this section is for newbies. if you talk to me about synaptics, focal, elarun, etc. I really get disoriented.
                    For now I tried to install a new theme (YES, the theme I have is "Brisa", and it came pre-installed), but it gives me an error: "Error desconocido de la API de Open Collaboration Service. (0)" I will try to download a theme from the web and follow the instructions.

Comment

Originally posted by rodfartam View Post
                      Please, what do you mean by "SDDM version"?
                      I have a clean install of Kubuntu 22.04.
                      Thanks for getting involved, seriously, but please remember this section is for newbies. if you talk to me about synaptics, focal, elarun, etc. I really get disoriented.
                      For now I tried to install a new theme (YES, the theme I have is "Brisa", and it came pre-installed), but it gives me an error: "Error desconocido de la API de Open Collaboration Service. (0)" I will try to download a theme from the web and follow the instructions.
                      I did ask for either the version of the login manager (SDDM), or the version of Kubuntu, as we don't know what type of system you have, since you did not post in the 22.04 support section.
                      Knowing this can greatly helps us help you, but please remember that we are volunteers, and we can't read your mind

Comment

I installed a theme called Sugar Candy and nothing has changed, so I went back to the pre-installed theme.

For now I'm going to leave everything as it is, because it's really not that important.

The links you have given me are really beyond my computer skills, for now. I hope in the future to better understand its concepts, and to have enough time for it.

Comment

Working...
                        X