X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

single del key press not working

Hey,
    Im using Kubuntu 22.04. Today I noticed, that my "del" - key is doing nothing when I press it on its own. "control" + "del" is working normal.

Code:
    xev -event keyboard
    Brings up
    Code:
    KeymapNotify event, serial 26, synthetic NO, window 0x0,
       keys:  4294967254 0   0   0   0   0   0   0   0   0   0   0   0   0   0   0    
              0   0   0   0   0   0   0   0   0   0   0   0   0   0   0   0
    when i press the "del" - key.

I tested it with 3 Keyboards:

Keychron K4
    Logitech...(cant find a sticker)
    MS3050

I tried to reassign the shortcut under "System Settings/Shortcuts/Shortcuts/Common Actions/File/Move to trash" but the key press is not recognized.

Operating System: Kubuntu 22.04
    KDE Plasma Version: 5.24.4
    KDE Frameworks Version: 5.92.0
    Qt Version: 5.15.3
    Kernel Version: 5.15.0-33-generic (64-bit)
    Graphics Platform: X11
    Processors: 16 × AMD Ryzen 7 3800X 8-Core Processor
    Memory: 31,3 GiB of RAM
    Graphics Processor: AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT

What should I do next?

Thanks,
    David

Solution:

I got it solved. The "indicator-sound-switcher" was blocking the key with "del" used as a shortcut - key. I think i typed "del" instead of "backspace" while trying to delete a shortcut. I blame my keybord < 100% for that . Thank you for your help guys!
    Last edited by dawode; Jun 09, 2022, 02:54 PM.

Pressing it in what? GUI application(s) [which one(s)] or terminal/konsole?
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

I've not found anything were it is working the only thing is the "00000" output from "xev -event keyboard".
      Not working in: Terminal, Shortcuts, Browser, Kate, OnlyOffice

Comment

When you go to systemsettings>inputdevices>keyboard, what device is selected in the drop down box? For example, mine is generic 101 pc keyboard. You may try changing this setting to another keyboard to see if the problem persists. Also, I would check shortcuts to and search to see if the delete key is mapped as a shortcut to something inadvertently. This can cause the delete key not to function properly.

Comment

Its at "Generic | Gneric 104-key PC". I think all of them should have a "del" - key. Ill give it a try top to bottom, thank you.

Comment

Yes they should all have a delete key mapped. It could help you pinpoint where the problem lies if the issue persists with two different keyboard layouts that can both work for same keyboard. Also, don't forget to double check the system shortcuts. An application having a shortcut set can interfere with normal keyboard function. A good way to test that would be to create a new user and log in as that user to see if the problem persists.

Comment

While testing I saw something strange while pressing "del" happening.

Comment

Be aware not all of those keyboard mappings will work for your keyboard so change conservatively.

Comment

Originally posted by rab0171610 View Post
                  Yes they should all have a delete key mapped. It could help you pinpoint where the problem lies if the issue persists with two different keyboard layouts that can both work for same keyboard. Also, don't forget to double check the system shortcuts. An application having a shortcut set can interfere with normal keyboard function. A good way to test that would be to create a new user and log in as that user to see if the problem persists.
                  Ive tested a new user and it works with "Generic | Gneric 104-key PC" but how can i find the reason for it not working on my main useraccount? Is there a way to search for the binded keys in Shortcuts?

Comment

Yes there is a search bar at the top in systemsettings>shortcuts. Just type delete and any shortcuts that are mapped using either delete by itself or a combination of delete and other keys will show up. If it helps i only have three shortcuts on my system using delete, two as common actions under file and one under edit and they are combinations. I would specifically look for delete by itself, just to eliminate that as an issue. You could also see if you have any custom shortcuts on the left as well, under shortcuts.
                    Last edited by rab0171610; Jun 08, 2022, 01:00 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by rab0171610 View Post
                      Yes there is a search bar at the top in systemsettings>shortcuts. Just type delete and any shortcuts that are mapped using either delete by itself or a combination of delete and other keys will show up. If it helps i only have three shortcuts on my system using delete, two as common actions under file and one under edit and they are combinations. I would specifically look for delete by itself, just to eliminate that as an issue. You could also see if you have any custom shortcuts on the left as well, under shortcuts.
                      I got 3 times delete at the same spots as you do. So the Shortcuts should be out of the game right?

Has anyone seen the behavior I posted in the video?

Comment

If the 'new user' doesn't experience this with the same keyboard selection/layout, then something in your user home directory is amiss.
                        Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
                        "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by dawode View Post
                          when i press the "del" - key.
                          Which key is that? The (IMO execrable) standard PC keyboard has "Delete", "Backspace", and "Del" on the number keypad, which is called "KP_Delete" by X11 and depends on the "Num Lock" state.

Historically there was a lot of confusion around various backspace and delete keys. Some firmwares (aka BIOS settings) have settings to cope with this, you might have a look there.
                          Regards, John Little

Comment

The meta key was not working and I did.

Code:
                            kwriteconfig5 --file ~/.config/kwinrc --group ModifierOnlyShortcuts --key Meta "org.kde.plasmashell,/PlasmaShell,org.kde.PlasmaShell,activateLauncherMe nu"

qdbus org.kde.KWin /KWin reconfigure
                            Im not really sure what I did there it was just a post I followed. Could it be a Problem with this command?

Its a dedicate key not on the number keypad: Click image for larger version

Name:	71bGnjXJK8L._AC_SL1500_.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	71.5 KB
ID:	663520

It worked flawless until I did something I think... I checked all settings I changed in the system settings. I hope we are able to find a solution.

Comment

Ok, as the other posters have assumed, that's "Delete" key on my keyboards. The laptop I'm using at the moment has "Home", "End", "Insert", and "Delete" keys where you have "del", "home", and "end".

Sometimes I've found the shortcut handling getting lost and confused until I reset it. A blunt instrument approach is to rename .config/kglobalshortcutsrc to something like .config/kglobalshortcutsrc.bak, and log out and back in; a fresh file is generated, the same as that for a new user I presume.
                              Regards, John Little

Comment

Working...
                              X