Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How can I get the Qt5 Patch Collection to solve my crashing KBibTeX problem?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How can I get the Qt5 Patch Collection to solve my crashing KBibTeX problem?

Hi,

A few weeks ago, on my new computer with Kubuntu 22.04, I installed KBibTeX and at my first attempt to open a ".bib" file, the program crashed. I made several attempts with different ".bib" files and every time, there was a crash.

So I reported the bug to the KDE Bugtracking System and someone told me this:
    This is a Qt bug that was fixed a year ago in the KDE patch collection. You should ask your distro to switch their Qt packages to the patch collection or at least backport the fix for this. [...] This bug was introduced upstream in Qt 5.15.3.
    I searched for Qt5 Patch Collection and I found this at https://community.kde.org/Qt5PatchCollection:
    How do I get this integrated in my distribution?

These patches can be obtained with the following command:

git format-patch v5.15.3-lts-lgpl..origin/kde/5.15

They can then be integrated using the tooling specific to your distribution.
    What is the tooling specific to our distribution? or
    How do I ask Kubuntu to switch its Qt packages to the patch collection?

Thanks

Since Kubuntu is using whatever Qt packaging Ubuntu provides. Unfortunately you'd have to ask or pester them for this.
    It might be wise to file a bug report on Ubuntu's Launchpad, where you can link it to the KDE bug report.

it seems unlikely that Ubuntu will add these patches to 22.04, or not very quickly, since it is an LTS. These are included in Kintetic, but that won't be released until October.

There is a PPA that ha been made, but I do not recommend it. It seems to be focused specifically for Wayland, and possibly could break some Qt based applications or packages that may have hard dependency on the existing Qt packagesets

Of course the simplest workaround is to try the Flatpak release (supported by KDE), which also nets you the current release of the software, as well.

Comment

Thank you claydoh for your help. I now use the Flatpak version of KBibTeX. There's no crash anymore, but the "Open a file" button in KBibTeX doesn't work. To open a file, I have to use Dolphin, select my file and click "Open with KBibTeX". It is not perfect but at least I can do something in KBibTeX.

Comment

Working...
      X