X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Installation query keepassxc

Hi.

The keepassx snap package takes up about 79mb, however, the .deb package only about 2mb. In the end I installed the .deb package due to the size difference but would have to manually update with each new version.

Is it worth using a snap? Is there any way to reduce the size of snap packages?

Thank you.

As I understand it, a Snap package contains everything needed, even if some or all of it is already installed on your system. A .deb package on the other hand, checks for required dependencies to see if they are already installed on your system, and if they are, doesn't download/install them. If they aren't, then they are downloaded/installed.

So, to answer your question, no, a given Snap package can't be made smaller than it is.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

But I've read that flatpak packs normally occupy less than snap, so I asked.

Comment

Originally posted by jony127 View Post
        But I've read that flatpak packs normally occupy less than snap, so I asked.
        your original post dose not mention "flatpaks" ,,,,which are essentially the same thing ,,,,a pack that contains all the lib's and associated programs the "pack" needs to work .

these will almost always be larger in size than a .deb as you will usually have some of the dependences that the program needs already installed on the system,,,,,the "pack" will contain everything it needs weather you already have it or not

VINNY
        i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
        16GB RAM
        Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Ok one more doubt

How are snap packages updated? Do you just download what you need or update the complete package?

Comment

Working...
          X