Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just read your post. It will not return anything on my end either which should mean that it executed successfully.

Comment

You could try:
      sudo udevadm control --reload-rules && sudo udevadm trigger

If that doesn't work, rebooting will reload your udev rules.

Comment

woops I didnt realize there was a second page, I have been editing my post from before all the time.

Rebooting didnt work in neither Mint nor Kubuntu. I guess I have to live with the water pump going full speed in Linux.

I used all the commands in Kubuntu with sudo to test. Initialization fails nevertheless and if I initialize with sudo then it says "unknown command sudo".

I have been trying to get help on github but the guy who programmed it is not really helpful and doesnt reply for days.

On Mint I've manually checked all the python packages and they where all there, unlike on Kubuntu, but it still wouldnt initialize.

The only thing that worked was to list the devices. Everything else gave an "access denied" prompt even though the udev rules where installed and I reastarted like 20 times (that was on Mint).
        Last edited by Fred-VIE; May 15, 2022, 03:12 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Fred-VIE View Post
          Now I'm totally confused /home/profilename/.local/bin was in my PATH to begin with which I mentioned in #5.

Thats why I didnt understand in the first place why the pip install said it is not.
          Current directory will not be in your path. If you are issuing the command inside .local/bin you have to use a ./, ./liquidctl.

Comment

About the $PATH setting... If you set it in .bashrc and run something from the plasma menu, it will not apply. Kubuntu does not use bash when it is starting up, or at least it doesn't for me. So the traditional files .profile, .bashrc, or /etc/profile don't get to set $PATH for programmes run by the menu, nor any other environment variable.

To make changes in the $PATH, I use a script that shows up in system settings, autostart, under the heading "Pre-startup Scripts". Note that I can't add them there, I can just copy scripts to ~/.config/plasma-workspace/env. Note also that the scripts there are run by dash so bashisms don't work; they just cause the rest of the script to be ignored.
            Regards, John Little

Comment

You could try to create a root password and su to root:
              sudo passwd
              create a password, enter it twice, and then use:
              su
              enter that password and you should have a root prompt (#) and run the liquidctl commands that way (as root without sudo).

Comment

Originally posted by arsivci View Post
                Current directory will not be in your path. If you are issuing the command inside .local/bin you have to use a ./, ./liquidctl.
                But the directory was in my path from the start and when it is there it should work shouldnt it?.

Do you mean all I would have needed is to use the full path in the sudo command for it to work?

Originally posted by jlittle View Post
                About the $PATH setting...
                Thx but I dont know howto write scripts and I dont get why programs get installed into paths that can not be used in the first place. There I thought an OS is crated to run programs that are installed so I dont get all the additional fuss. It is like there is an OS that does not want us to use installed programs unless we do additional work which is not user friendly at all.
                Last edited by Fred-VIE; May 17, 2022, 09:59 PM.

Comment

Have you tried running the liquidctl commands as root as I suggested? Path is not an issue for now. That has been established. That directory is already a default path on most installations. liquidctl --list probably does not require root permissions.

Comment

Originally posted by rab0171610 View Post
                    Have you tried running the liquidctl commands as root as I suggested?
                    Nope sorry, I have uninstalled liquidctl alltogether because I got tired of it after weeks of trying to make it work. Running programs should not be as complicated on an OS.

Next time I'll also try sudo on pip install and include the full path in the sudo command, but for now it is gone.

Thank you for trying to help, it is very appreciated!

Comment

Originally posted by Fred-VIE View Post
                      "WARNING: The script liquidctl is installed in '/home/profilename/.local/bin' which is not on PATH.
                      /home/profilename/.local/bin ISN'T a valid directory in the default PATH. There is a .local (hidden directory) in every users /home directory, but bin isn't a sub-directory in .local. Did the OP create the bin directory, or did the program (liquidctl) do so when the OP installed it?

Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
                      "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

It is listed in my path on my installation per echo $PATH. OP states it is in his path. Regardless he was able to run the liquidctl --list command but the others returned permission denied. Path is not his issue. He thought it was because of a warning on installation. When programs install to that directory it is created by the program. Regardless, as OP stated he does not have the program installed anymore so it makes no difference.

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog View Post
                          Did the OP create the bin directory, or did the program (liquidctl) do so when the OP installed it?
                          The pip command chose the install path. Thats the part that I dont get, that programs get installed in paths they cant be run from to begin with.

Comment

At least you were told it was not in $PATH. All the user has to do is add it to path or symlink to /usr/bin. Not complicated.

Comment

Isn't there a version of liquidctl in the repos? That would have installed to a more traditional bin directory:
                              sudo apt install liquidctl
                              Last edited by rab0171610; May 17, 2022, 10:55 PM.

Comment

Which after installing, shows the binary in /usr/bin.

Comment

Working...
                                X