X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

change default bittorrent client for magnet

Hi,

I always used deluge as my favorite torrent client, but the new ktorrent client looks really nice, so i want to use it as my default app. Problem is every magnet link is still being opened
    by deluge. I could delete deluge, but I dont want to do that.

I found this page: http://myinterestingubuntu.blogspot....iation-in.html

which describes the process. But in the end i get stuck. He talks about a file defaults.list located in /usr/share/applications. But i cant find this
    file anywere. Is this file replaced by another file?

I also looked in system settings->default applications. But there is no default set for torrents. And you cant add one.

Im running kubuntu 16.04.

In K14.04 the following works, it should be very similar in K16.04.

Try System Settings, File Associations. Then type in "torrent" in the search box (without quotes). It should show "application -> x-bittorrent" then click on x-bittorrent and you should see on the right "Application Preference Order". Make sure ktorrent is at the top of the list.
    Desktop PC: Intel Core-i5-4670 3.40Ghz, 16Gb Crucial ram, Asus H97-Plus MB, 128Gb Crucial SSD + 2Tb Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 HDD running Kubuntu 18.04 LTS and Kubuntu 14.04 LTS (on SSD).
    Laptop: HP EliteBook 8460p Core-i5-2540M, 4Gb ram, Transcend 120Gb SSD, currently running Deepin 15.8 and Manjaro KDE 18.

Comment

thank you very much. this works on 16.04.

Comment

and now it stopped working again. so weird this. I cant even open magnet links in ktorrent anymore by using: ktorrent->openURL. App just doesnt pick it up anymore. Ive switched back to deluge.

Comment

Originally posted by linuxmonkey View Post
          and now it stopped working again. so weird this. I cant even open magnet links in ktorrent anymore by using: ktorrent->openURL. App just doesnt pick it up anymore. Ive switched back to deluge.
          I prefer qbittorrent to ktorrent. I use deluge on non-KDE installations and I've had no problems with magnet links with either torrent client.
          we see things not as they are, but as we are.
          -- anais nin

Comment

For me it was automatic. The first time I clicked on a magnet link a window popped up asking which of the two torrent clients I had installed I wanted to use, and did I want to "remember that choice."
            If you think Education is expensive, try ignorance.

The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has limits.

Comment

Working...
            X