Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I can't find how to set my keyboard to US International so I can us non US characters

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[Settings] I can't find how to set my keyboard to US International so I can us non US characters

I have been looking everywhere, but all the answers I find do not match what I see. I have Kubuntu 20.04 LTS with KDE plasma 5.18.8 and I cannot find an option in system settings for US International. I am new to Kubuntu and would really appreciate some help. If you need any other information let me know. I do not know enough to know what information you need on this.

Under keyboard setting > layouts...
    Attached Files
    Constant change is here to stay!

Comment

Thank you. I had looked there, but couldn't find the correct option, but seeing that you had it, I pushed a little harder and found it! I do appreciate it!

Comment

Note that there are many variants for some layouts, such as English (US) and the particular layout you refer to, "US International", may be closest to one of the English (US) variants. Click Add, choose "English (US)" in the Layout drop down, then click the Variant drop down. I missed that for a long time.

I use the "EurKEY" layout; it has a "dead greek" key for Greek letters, of which I use a few often. It has most of the diacritics used in European languages, but annoyingly not the vowels with macrons. (Did someone consider Lithuania or Latvia not in Europe? ). I need them to type Māori greetings and the like correctly.

So, I use a compose key, set to be the "Pause" key. I find the compose sequences to be mostly very intuitive, and quickly learned when not so intuitive, f.ex. a asterisk for å. Handy for some other oddballs I need, such as compose-o-o for °, or compose-^-3 for ³. Discovering compose-F-U was a real lol, quite a chuckle. 🖖 is for trekkies, compose-L-L-A-P.
        Regards, John Little

Comment

Thank you, I will keep playing with it myself. German with it's umlauts and such is my main concern. I do use Greek a lot, but I have some applications with their own defined Greek and Hebrew keyboards for that. I will also want to learn more about using the compose key etc. Thank you for your insight.

Comment

Working...
          X