X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[Multimedia] Sound Gone

Hi all

My hardware sound device is gone after trying to make better because sounded worse than windows. Now i have this dummy audio device and no sound.

My hardware is

00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 7 Series/C216 Chipset Family High Definitio
    n Audio Controller (rev 04)
    Subsystem: Acer Incorporated [ALI] 7 Series/C216 Chipset Family High Defini
    tion Audio Controller
    Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 0
    Memory at d1610000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=16K]
    Capabilities: [50] Power Management version 2
    Capabilities: [60] MSI: Enable- Count=1/1 Maskable- 64bit+
    Capabilities: [70] Express Root Complex Integrated Endpoint, MSI 00
    Capabilities: [100] Virtual Channel
    Capabilities: [130] Root Complex Link
    Kernel modules: snd_hda_intel

My software is
    kubuntu 17.04
    kde plasma last version

What is the output of
    lsmod | grep snd
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Originally posted by soyraro View Post
      Hi all

My hardware sound device is gone after trying to make better

and you will need to tell us what you have done .

VINNY
      i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
      16GB RAM
      Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Tried to install realtek drivers. Thank you guys.. I reinstalled kubuntu. My audio is working now but the quality of sound is terrible. No bass. With windows the quality of sound was way better.

Comment

Use "inxi -F" to see what your sound driver is.

Using the name of your sound driver use "modinfo whateveritsnameis" to see if there are any modifiable PARMS that you can change. If so, create /etc/modprobe.d/whateveritsnammeis.conf and add "options param=(true|false 1|0)" for each param you want to change. Then "sudo rmmod whateveritsnameis" followed by "sudo modprobe whateveritsnameis"
          "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”

Comment

Thank you GreyGeek... Ill do some testing when I have some free time. Thank you!!

Comment

I believe most regulars here know my opinion on sounds issues. I tend to blame Pulse Audio ... a lot. To test the theory you can turn off PA using pasuspender as shown here. Try this, if it appears to be the culprit, you can either suspend it for running programs with audio issues or disable it for all programs. Personally I remove it completely and run ALSA only. I was having clicking and popping sounds with mine, which is mother board Realtek.

As you are having issue with bass vs treble, maybe you should look into the PA graphic equalizer instead?

Comment

Hi guys... yesterday I had to reboot on Windows to watch and hear a movie. I couldnt hear it in Linux. The quality and volume of sound is awful. Im not an expert in linux and I barely understand your technical explanations here. Im dealing with screen tearing as well, Im thinking to come back to Windows. Its frustrating.

Thank you anyway for your efforts.

Comment

Originally posted by soyraro View Post
                  Hi guys... yesterday I had to reboot on Windows to watch and hear a movie. I couldnt hear it in Linux. The quality and volume of sound is awful. Im not an expert in linux and I barely understand your technical explanations here. Im dealing with screen tearing as well, Im thinking to come back to Windows. Its frustrating.

Thank you anyway for your efforts.
                  One person found out that it was his BlueTooth device that was interfering with his sound. I've used Acers since 2004 and Kubuntu since 2009 and the sound has always worked well.

Hardware is a moving target and Linux may or may not work "out of the box", depending on the age, make and model of your computer. (That's true of Windows also, giving the msgs at Windows help forums). Also, some Linux distros work better than other distros on particular hardware. You might want to burn a USB stick of PCLinuxOS, or openSUSE, Monjaro, or MINT KDE (IF the KDE desktop was what drew you to Kubuntu) and test each of them in the LiveUSB mode to see if your sound works. In the long run it beats going back to Window$.

Comment

Working...
                  X