• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[Internet] Connected to wifi, but no internet

System Information:
    Kubuntu 21.10
    DE: Plasma 5.22.5
    Kubuntu is the only OS installed on a laptop.

Model: Asus VivoBook (X712EA-AU161T)
    CPU: Intel i5-1135G7
    GPU: Intel Iris Xe
    MEM: 8GB
    HDD: one m.2

Problem description:
    New install of Kubuntu on new laptop.
    First wifi worked just fine, connected and did updates no worries.
    After two days I can connect to the wifi but i get no internet connection.
    System gets IP (at least that what is says if i check on the connection) from the router but I'm unable to ping the gateway.
    I cant even ping the localhost.
    Network card looks present if i do a lspci:
    0000:00:14.3 Network controller: Interl Corporation Wi-Fi 6 AX201 (rev 20)

Does anyone have any ideas what this could be?

Your wifi product brief is here.
    Your wifi was Ubuntu certified for the Lenovo P 340 Tower.
    Intel's debug steps for your wifi is here.
    You probably need the firmware. Intel posted a tar package for your wifi for kernels 5.2 or greater.
    Intel® Wi-Fi 6 AX201 160MHz 5.2+ iwlwifi-Qu-48.13675109.0.tgz
    https://wireless.wiki.kernel.org/_me...13675109.0.tgz

A solution was offered here but there was no reply indicating if it worked.

Your problem was solved here, but ymmv.

"A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Hi Trifinity, and welcome to KFN!

I had that issue recently. All of a sudden, no one could actually use the Internet; like you, it was a matter of 'connected to [my network], no Internet'. Ugh. I 'fixed' it by rebooting the router and modem. If you haven't already tried that, please do. Unplug the router and modem, let them sit for at least 30 seconds, then power them back on in this order: router--let it come all the way back up--and then modem. That may be all you need. It was for me!
      Xenix/UNIX user since 1985 | Linux user since 1991 | Was registered Linux user #163544

Comment

Originally posted by DoYouKubuntu View Post
        Hi Trifinity, and welcome to KFN!

I had that issue recently. All of a sudden, no one could actually use the Internet; like you, it was a matter of 'connected to [my network], no Internet'. Ugh. I 'fixed' it by rebooting the router and modem. If you haven't already tried that, please do. Unplug the router and modem, let them sit for at least 30 seconds, then power them back on in this order: router--let it come all the way back up--and then modem. That may be all you need. It was for me!
        I have tried that, and also tried it on a completely different network with the same issue.
        Going to try out what GrayGeek sent

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
          Your wifi product brief is here.
          Your wifi was Ubuntu certified for the Lenovo P 340 Tower.
          Intel's debug steps for your wifi is here.
          You probably need the firmware. Intel posted a tar package for your wifi for kernels 5.2 or greater.
          Intel® Wi-Fi 6 AX201 160MHz 5.2+ iwlwifi-Qu-48.13675109.0.tgz
          https://wireless.wiki.kernel.org/_me...13675109.0.tgz

A solution was offered here but there was no reply indicating if it worked.

Your problem was solved here, but ymmv.
          I tried to install the correct firmware from the Intel page you sent.
          Its in the right folder but it doesn't seam to load it.
          It looks like its using the generic drivers for 5.13.0.
          How do I change it to the new version?

Comment

Originally posted by Trifinity View Post

I tried to install the correct firmware from the Intel page you sent.
            Its in the right folder but it doesn't seam to load it.
            It looks like its using the generic drivers for 5.13.0.
            How do I change it to the new version?
            It should go into the /usr/lib/firmware directory.
            The Intel file is supplying only the *48 firmware files:
            /usr/lib/firmware/iwlwifi-Qu-b0-hr-b0-48.ucode
            /usr/lib/firmware/iwlwifi-Qu-b0-hr-jf-48.ucode
            /usr/lib/firmware/iwlwifi-Qu-c0-hr-b0-48.ucode

/usr/lib/firmware/iwlwifi-Qu-c0-hr-jf-48.ucode

Those files are probably already in your /usr/lib/firmware directory, but perhaps with a different size and date. There are other firmware files with similar names but with different -nn.ucode endings. Ignore them.

Each kernel has a iwlwifi.ko (kernel object file) drivers that get loaded automatically during boot. Something like:

/usr/lib/modules/5.14.0-1027-oem/kernel/drivers/net/wireless/intel/iwlwifi/iwlwifi.ko

You don't have anything to do other then copying in the files from Intel. You should, AS ROOT, copy the original four files into another temporary directory before you copy Intel's files to /usr/lib/firmware. Make sure the group:user is root:root.

Then reboot.

If you have to adjust parameters for iwlwifi, "modinfo iwlwifi" shows
            Code:
            [SIZE=9px][FONT=monospace][COLOR=#000000]parm:           swcrypto:using crypto in software (default 0 [hardware]) (int) [/COLOR]
            parm:           11n_disable:disable 11n functionality, bitmap: 1: full, 2: disable agg TX, 4: disable agg RX, 8 enable agg TX (uint)
            parm:           amsdu_size:amsdu size 0: 12K for multi Rx queue devices, 2K for AX210 devices, 4K for other devices 1:4K 2:8K 3:12K (16K b
            uffers) 4: 2K (default 0) (int)
            parm:           fw_restart:restart firmware in case of error (default true) (bool)
            parm:           nvm_file:NVM file name (charp)
            parm:           uapsd_disable:disable U-APSD functionality bitmap 1: BSS 2: P2P Client (default: 3) (uint)
            parm:           enable_ini:Enable debug INI TLV FW debug infrastructure (default: true (bool)
            parm:           bt_coex_active:enable wifi/bt co-exist (default: enable) (bool)
            parm:           led_mode:0=system default, 1=On(RF On)/Off(RF Off), 2=blinking, 3=Off (default: 0) (int)
            parm:           power_save:enable WiFi power management (default: disable) (bool)
            parm:           power_level:default power save level (range from 1 - 5, default: 1) (int)
            parm:           disable_11ac:Disable VHT capabilities (default: false) (bool)
            parm:           remove_when_gone:Remove dev from PCIe bus if it is deemed inaccessible (default: false) (bool)
            parm:           disable_11ax:Disable HE capabilities (default: false) (bool)[/FONT][/SIZE]
            The smiley faces are a colon and a D right next to each other. The settings can go in /etc/modprobe.d/iwlwifi.conf or, you can create your own whatever.conf file under /etc/modprobe.d and put the settings in there, which look like this:
            iwlwifi option parm=setting
            " "
            until you have all the settings you want to make. For example, to turn off bluetooth:
            iwlwifi option bt_coax_active:disable

Sometimes 1 is used for "on" or "enable" and 0 is used for "off" or "disable"

Just backup the original four files first, copy in the new ones, and reboot. If your wifi starts working then fine.
            If not,

These commands allow you to remove iwlwifi, install iwlwifi and look at any error msgs generated by iwlwifi:
            modprobe -r iwlwifi
            modprobe iwlwifi
            dmesg | grep iwl

"A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”

Comment

Nothing worked, so i reinstalled and updated. That fixed the issue.
              Thanks for all the help

Comment

Trifinity Sometimes, that's what it takes (and also, sometimes, is the fastest way to resolve a stubborn issue).
                Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
                "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Trifinity Now, before you do anything else. BACKUP your newly installed system. The entire system. Back it up to an external storage device.

Always do a backup BEFORE you do a "sudo apt update" and "sudo apt full-upgrade". If things go south then don't bother trying to figure out what went wrong, just do a full restore from your most recent backup and wait for the next update, skipping the one that failed.
                  Before you install some major package do a backup.

Now, how long do backups take? If you use EXT4 then they could take 30 minutes to an hour. IF you reinstalled using BTRFS as the root filesystem then a snapshot of your system would take a few seconds. An incremental backup to an external storage device will take less than a minute, if if you do it manually and don't use a script. By the way, Snowhog wrote an excellent script for backing up @ and @home on a BTRFS filesystem both locally and on an external device. It is in the Community Cafe subforum.
                  Last edited by Snowhog; Mar 19, 2022, 10:59 AM.

Comment

Working...
                  X