X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Getting online with an old laptop using Kubuntu 14

Hi everyone

Im now stuck at getting online with my trusty nc8000 see previous post here https://www.kubuntuforums.net/showthread.php?t=71862
    I cant seem to enable the built in wifi. The hardware button on the laptop doesnt work now. Could this be to do with drivers? If so, how would, or wehre would i get those, do I need to connect this laptop to download? Silly question im sure but im not sure how to go about this, see this post for details of my lack of know how on this! https://www.kubuntuforums.net/showthread.php?t=71885

Thanks guys

In a konsole you can issue
    ~$ nmcli r
    Code:
    WIFI-HW  WIFI     WWAN-HW  WWAN     
    [COLOR=#18B218]enabled  [/COLOR][COLOR=#18B218]enabled  [/COLOR][COLOR=#18B218]enabled  [/COLOR][COLOR=#18B218]enabled[/COLOR][COLOR=#000000] 
    [/COLOR]
    You can also use
    $ rfkill list
    Code:
    0: phy0: Wireless LAN
            Soft blocked: no
            Hard blocked: no
    1: acer-wireless: Wireless LAN
            Soft blocked: no
    2: acer-bluetooth: Bluetooth
            Soft blocked: yes

Last edited by GreyGeek; May 26, 2017, 02:15 PM.
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

we need to see what the wireless hardware is.

The "lspci" command should include this info in the output. I am betting it is a Broadcam chip, which are notorious in their lack of Linux support as well as an overall pta to get them working

If you can hook the lappy to the internet via an ethernet cable, you may be able to use the Drivers tool in System Settings to see if it can download and install the necessary (and probably non-free) software needed.

Comment

Thanks for your help again. I managed to get online and update the distro.

One thing that came up, some of the updates (to do with languages) were not installed as I got a warning saying they were not authentic, or something similar like that. I got this warning when trying to install the gufw and also an antivirus program too. Should I ignore that warning and install them or what is happening there?

Comment

I did a restart snd on boot I get a pop up asking for my password to install Qapt batch installer. Does that seem right?

Comment

You don't need the anti-virus program. Purge it.

You'll have to be more specific about the error msg.

ufw is installed by default. gufw is in the repository. Don't install it from any other source.

Qapt does require your password to install.

Question: Are you using the 14.04 repositories? You should not be installing apps from any other source until you become proficient at using Kubuntu

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
            Last edited by GreyGeek; May 27, 2017, 06:55 AM.
            "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”

Comment

That's a difficult question, for me
              I'm using the konsole to install and update. I guess that means its all coming from the correct repository relative to my linux version. Is that correct?

Ive just had some success with installing both the gufw and also the app that i wanted to use. Wonderful! It was to do with dependencies which was fixed with sudo apt -f install

I also gave qapt my password so that went through too. Im not getting any further messages about the language package update

So perhaps thats it and Im all set now. Thanks very much for all the help. Very good of you :-)

Comment

Originally posted by SumBloke View Post
                That's a difficult question, for me
                I'm using the konsole to install and update. I guess that means its all coming from the correct repository relative to my linux version. Is that correct?
                Yes, IF you haven't added to, or deleted any /etc/apt/source.list entries.
                What does
                inxi -r
                show you? It lists the sources in the sources.list file.

Also,
                inxi -F
                is interesting too!

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post

Also,
                  inxi -F
                  is interesting too!
                  But if you plan to post the output on a forum, then

Code:
                  inxi -Fz
                  is better, so the mac addresses are not shown.

Comment

As fate would have it, my wife wanted me to look for some missing emails on her Acer Aspire One 10" notebook, which is at least 7 yrs old and running 14.04. During my search an update notice popped up. Except for automatic updates I hadn't updated her notebook since I installed 14.04 on it, IIRC.
                    I started the update and was informed that the keys were no longer valid but was given the opportunity to accept them permanently. Probably due to EOL. I was also prompted to do a version upgrade, which I declined.

14.04 has behaved perfectly, as one would expect. The D521 model is a 32 bit machine. Leave 14.04 on it or install a newer release? Decisions, decisions.

EDIT: I rechecked the EOL because I suspected my faulty memory, which was faulty. The 14.04 EOL is April 2019, which is the same EOL for 16.04, so there is no reason to upgrade to version 16.04 since they'll both EOL at the same time. I had thought that the EOL for 14.04 was three years, not five.
                    Last edited by GreyGeek; May 29, 2017, 09:19 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
                      Yes, IF you haven't added to, or deleted any /etc/apt/source.list entries.
                      What does
                      inxi -r
                      show you? It lists the sources in the sources.list file.

Also,
                      inxi -F
                      is interesting too!
                      Hi, no I hadn't changed anything like that. Im using everything as standard and dont have any knowledge to edit things like that. Im sure its all ok.
                      Its alos difficult for me to post information like that as Im posting on a different machine to my old, offline laptop. Too much squinting and typing for me!
                      All is looking good though, thanks gain for your help everyone

Comment

Working...
                      X