X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[Installation] Drivers from USB?

Hello.
    I have been trying to get my graphics card and Ethernet adapter to work on a slightly older Lenovo desktop that runs Kubuntu (currently away from home so I can't get more details for a few hours.)

Anyhow, I remember that the issue that cropped up when I first installed the OS was that it couldn't detect my screen resolution at all, which then led to me installing the proprietary drivers (Nvidia) which solved that problem instantly.

However, after that installation my Ethernet adapter is now unclaimed, and I have no idea how to get fresh drivers installed with no internet, I have a USB Ethernet card, tried that but it doesn't even show up on lshw.

The Ethernet adapter is a basic RT combo package so finding the right driver name should be easy, I just need to know how to install it with no network access, there has to be some driver that works on the live USB (since ofc it worked during installation) so how do I use the installation disc to install drivers?

Everything else works.

Thanks in advance.

Is it possible for you to tether the machine to a cell phone and connect that way temporarily? that would be the simplest way to install the needed drivers.
    on the install disk for Nvidia cards they use the Nouveau (open Souce driver). With that driver which should have been installed during installation you need to take a few steps to get it working at least temporarily so you can install the correct nvidia driver. You will need to append the grub boot line with nomodeset parameter. This Ask Ubuntu thread show how to do that. I'm not sure how to install the driver for your Ethernet card. I assume it' using a Realtek Ethernet card if so the driver your looking for would be r8168-dkms.

Dave Kubuntu 20.04 Registered Linux User #462608

Wireless Script: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...5#post12350385

Comment

It was a while since I installed the Nvidia driver, I seem to recall that I actually went to their webpage and downloaded the file and installed it that way, so the graphics card works, it just killed my Ethernet when it started working.

Comment

A couple things to check about the Ethernet card. Is secure boot turned off? and Is there a setting in the bios to enable ethernet?
        Dave Kubuntu 20.04 Registered Linux User #462608

Wireless Script: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...5#post12350385

Comment

I tried installing Linux mint on a different partition to see if it would play nice with the hardware and it worked so well that I'm now considering just installing plasma on that OS.

Comment

Working...
          X