X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Unable to see Wifi option / Broadcom BCM4352

Hey Kubuntu Family,

So I've recently just made made the switch from Windows 10 to Kubuntu 16.04.02 LTS. For clarity, I'm an adolescent linux user - fresh and new to linux.

The issues is that I do not seem to have the wifi icon, rather just an airplane mode icon. Thus, I can't even scan for wifi.

I am using a Dell XPS 13 laptop with Intel Broadwell Core i5-5200U CPU, 4GB RAM, 256GB SSD. I am not able to access the internet on my system - obv. due to no wifi, and my laptop does not have an Ethernet port.

Through the Konsole command: lspci -vvnn | grep -A 9 Network
    I found that I am using a Broadcom Corporation BCM4352 802.11ac Wireless Network Adapter
    My PCI-ID is 14e4:43b1
    The Kernel driver in use: bcma-pci-bridge
    The current Kernel I am using is 4.8.0-36-generic

I would genuinely appreciate any help I can get to resolve this issue and get my beloved Wifi working again.

Thank you

You are in somewhat of a conundrum.
    The problems are explained in this link, which has the following remark:
    The Broadcom BCM4350 chipset found in my Dell XPS 13 9350 was recently included in the mainline Linux 4.4 kernel release under the guise of this patch. Unfortunately this driver requires a closed source firmware binary blob to operate correctly on the Dell XPS 13 9350. More details regarding the firmware required and the package it is contained within is explained in step 3 of this guide.
    The solution, according to that link, is to make a custom compile of the 4.4 kernel, and the deb package driver mentioned. A requirement forced by the CLOSED SOURCE binary blob.

Unfortunately, you seem to be between a rock and a hard place. There is, however, one possible solution, a USB 3.0 to RJ45 dongle:
    https://www.amazon.com/TRENDnet-Ethe...o+rj45+adapter.
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

@GreyGeek Thank you for that!

Excuse my lack of linux knowledge - is it that if i do follow that guide and make a custom compile of the 4.4 kernel and the deb package driver mentioned - then I would be able to detect/use wifi on my system whilst running Kubuntu?

I would like to keep the option of the dongle as last resort

Comment

Would this article benefit me in any way? https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Dell_XPS_13_9343

Comment

Originally posted by Pheonix View Post
          Would this article benefit me in any way? https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Dell_XPS_13_9343
          As a newb I think you'd find running Gentoo or Arch a little more challenging that compiling a kernel. IMO.
          "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”

Comment

Originally posted by Pheonix View Post
            @GreyGeek Thank you for that!

Excuse my lack of linux knowledge - is it that if i do follow that guide and make a custom compile of the 4.4 kernel and the deb package driver mentioned - then I would be able to detect/use wifi on my system whilst running Kubuntu?

I would like to keep the option of the dongle as last resort
            Ubuntu was (is?) based on Debian and uses the dpkg packaging system. Kubuntu is based off of Ubuntu. Many deb packages work well on both platforms. The deb package containing your wifi firmware (firmware-brcm80211_20160110-1_all.deb) doesn't have any other dependencies so would probably install fine. Getting it would be the problem.

I don't know for sure that Kubuntu or Neon would run satisfactorily on the XP 13. Here is one Linux user's experience trying out several. He ended up using openSUSE, which is a fine distro. He also recommended getting a USB Etho stick instead of trying to get the wifi working. Most people assume the 4.4 kernel is all they need, but they aren't aware of the closed source binary blob that is needed.

So, since you already have Kubuntu installed, that's why I suggest that the USB Eth0 stick is still your best solution.

Comment

@GreyGreek I posted in and found a solution through Ubuntu Forums; https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread....2360333&page=2

Good ol' mobile tethering!

However, i'm currently experiencing another (minor?) issue.

it shows all the connections, but once I put in all the info (username, password, security settings, etc.) it says 'for accessing the WiFi network you need to provide a password' and two little popups come up saying wifi deactivated and no secrets were provided. I tried my WiFi password again here which i know to be 100% correct and checked thoroughly, but it still doesn't work.

Am I missing something really simple or is there another issue?

Thanks again

Comment

I saw that "solution". I don't know what your data plan is but in the long run I'm sure it will cost you or your folks MUCH MORE than a $20 USB to RJ45 that I linked to in my post above.

Besides, you need a working wifi and that's what you don't have. At this point compiling a kernel may be above your skill set.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I'm gonna say the same thing I say to everyone who has Broadcom issues; pitch the wireless card and replace it with a $22 Intel card and the Broadcom issues will go away

https://www.amazon.com/Intel-Dual-Ba...0SCQF877EA4NF1

Replacing a wireless card is a lot easier than recompiling a kernel
                  we see things not as they are, but as we are.
                  -- anais nin

Comment

That's 30 euros i don't have unfortunately, but thanks

Comment

Working...
                    X