This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Round in ever decreasing circles with my printer

Hello again. Just a few weeks into Kubuntu, finding my feet. However! When I installed K 21.10, the system picked up my Canon Pixma MG3650 on my wifi router without me doing anything, and it has been printing fine since. However when I tried to scan using gscan2pdf, I couldn't get it work on wireless, but as soon as linked with a USB cable, that worked fine. Today, i tried to print an envelope using my Textmaker by Softmaker app (never a straightforward matter) and couldn't get it to do this. So, thinking it might help, I disconnected the wifi link using various buttons on the printer, linked with the cable, and eventually got the printing I wanted.
    Next, I tried to reinstate the wifi link, using the buttons recommended on a net page I read, and all I got was test pages. Diligent searching of the web suggests that the only way to reconnect by wifi involves using the installation CD, which of course is Windows only!
    Not wanting to burden you good guys on the forum, I thought to install Wine and see if that would allow the CD to run. For some reason, I cannot get Wine to install, either from 'Software' or using the suggested method from tecmint. This is the last bit of the Konsole from the latter,

keithmedion@keithMedion-H61H2-LM3:~$ sudo apt-get install --install-recommen
    ds winehq-stable
    Reading package lists... Done
    Building dependency tree... Done
    Reading state information... Done
    Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have
    requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable
    distribution that some required packages have not yet been created
    or been moved out of Incoming.
    The following information may help to resolve the situation:

The following packages have unmet dependencies.
    winehq-stable : Depends: wine-stable (= 6.0.2~focal-1)
    E: Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages.
    keithmedion@keithMedion-H61H2-LM3:~$

and from 'Software' it appeared to install, offered 'Launch', but then showed a banner saying 'Cannot launch Wine'.

So, the nub of my questions-
    First, does anyone have a way of reconnecting the printer to wifi without the installation CD,
    Second, can anyone tell me why Wine won't load?

Many thanks, keithm

Read through https://wiki.winehq.org/Ubuntu
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Snowhog, thanks. Interestingly, that link didn't show on the forum when i searched 'wine'. That got Wine installed, without errors, and then as soon as i realised that Wine really does work in the background, without any UI, i shoved the CD in, looked in Dolphin, started the .exe file, and thought my troubles were over. But then a Wine pop up told me there was a serious error and the programme could not proceed (or words to that effect). i went as advised to the WineHQ fount of knowledge, to find that no, Canon printers cannot be installed this way.
      So, the first of my questions remain live. does anyone know how to get the printer linked by wifi without the installation CD?
      keithm

Comment

One should never have to use a CD to install drivers for anything in Linux. Specifically, such a CD is Windows-centric.

One thing to consider: The network you are connecting with. Does it have two speeds, i.e., 2.4G and 5G? I ask, because my wireless printer (Brother MFC-J4420DW); an older model by todays standards, bought over six years ago; can't connect to our house network on the 5G band; I have to specify the 2.4G.

Another thing to check: In System Settings > Network > Connections > General configuration, is All users may connect to this network checked?
        Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
        "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Thanks again. We may have drifted away from the crux of my problem, so to summarise, the printer was working fine on wifi, until for reasons not pertinent, i turned off the wifi connection on the printer using a combination of button presses from a Canon support article. The same article had a suggested set of button presses to reconnect the wifi, but those presses did not do what was needed, but something entirely other.
          With the USB cable connection, everything works fine, and since the only reason for having the wifi connection was because it was there (and a desire to keep to a minimum the spaghetti of cables around my desk), I have found a fairly tidy route for the cable, and I will run on that connection, and not bother with the wifi.
          All of which just goes to show that if you can't solve a problem head on, go around it!
          Keithm

Comment

I would check the manufacturer's website to check if they supplied Linux drivers for their devices. Canon and Brother usually do. Although my Brother Printer/Scanner works fine 'out of the box' their driver install script gives more control over resolution and preferences.
            Constant change is here to stay!

Comment

Working...
            X