Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My documents do not opens. Dolphin odt's.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[System] My documents do not opens. Dolphin odt's.

Many times I will save temporary but important data in odt. When I attempt to open the document to recover the information, the cursor bounces for a while, then stops, but the document does not open.

Kubuntu 14.04LTS, currently updated.

Thanks for any solution. Shab

You say when you try to open them from Dolphin? What happens if you open Libre (I am assuming it's Libre) then open the files from "inside" Libre?
    If you think Education is expensive, try ignorance.

The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has limits.

Comment

You could check that the "file association" is ok in System settings -> Applications; if I type odt into the search box the top entry shows "vnd.oasis.opendocument.text" and "LibreOffice Writer" shows at the top.

But I suspect that something is crashing. If you use a konsole, you might see some error messages. A quick way to check it out is to press F4 in dolphin and try xdg-open yourfile.odt or soffice yourfile.odt.
      Regards, John Little

Comment

The odt document opens in Libre, but that is a bit inconvenient. I save the odt to my 'Documents' folder in Dolphin. I hope to do so again.

I have been having many problems with Kubuntu 14.04LTS. The reputation given it doesn't seem warranted. Additionally, I am having many difficulties in Kubuntu 16.04LTS. It is unlike my experience with Kubuntu over the years, yet, I have not read anything from others that would indicate similar experience. I have been a loyal Kubuntu user for many years, but am considering looking elsewhere. I hope Kubuntu is not loosing it's quality reputation.

I would like to fix the problem that I titled, but would not mind a little input from others about my general experiences. Thanks! Shab

Originally posted by SpecialEd View Post
        You say when you try to open them from Dolphin? What happens if you open Libre (I am assuming it's Libre) then open the files from "inside" Libre?

Comment

Hi John, nice to hear from you.

Unable to run the command specified. The file or folder file:///home/steven/DylanBenjaminStuff.odt does not exist. ,,,,,,,,,was the response to your command line entry.

I looked in System Settings for the file association page. I looked for an .odt entry, but did not find one. I don't know how to use this screen to affect change, if that is what is required. Will you help me? Thanks in advance. Shab

Originally posted by jlittle View Post
          You could check that the "file association" is ok in System settings -> Applications; if I type odt into the search box the top entry shows "vnd.oasis.opendocument.text" and "LibreOffice Writer" shows at the top.

But I suspect that something is crashing. If you use a konsole, you might see some error messages. A quick way to check it out is to press F4 in dolphin and try xdg-open yourfile.odt or soffice yourfile.odt.

Comment

Looks like it may be yet another example of the file association bug.
            https://www.kubuntuforums.net/showth...l=1#post399722
            "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
            – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

(Sorry, I made a mental note to reply earlier, when I would be on Kubuntu, but... mental notes aren't a good idea any more...)

Originally posted by Shabakthanai View Post
              Unable to run the command specified. The file or folder file:///home/steven/DylanBenjaminStuff.odt does not exist. ,,,,,,,,,was the response to your command line entry.
              If you are in dolphin and can see the file name in the dolphin window, press F4 and try and access it, I can think of:
              • You've typed its name incorrectly. Maybe the name has spaces, say "Dylan Benjamin Stuff.odt"; if so on the command line (what you get after pressing F4) the name needs to go in quotes, soffice 'Dylan Benjamin Stuff.odt'
              • There's a "dangling" link, a link to the wrong place. I get your exact message if I double-click such a link in dolphin:
                Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20170502_081711.png
Views:	1
Size:	18.8 KB
ID:	643504
                If I use soffice on the command line on a bad link, I get

Name:	Screenshot_20170502_082834.png
Size:	11.6 KB
ID:	643505
                But if you've managed to open the file using LibreOffice, it must exist... maybe you're accessing it in a different place from LibreOffice... I would check carefully the names of the directories, especially if there's spaces or punctuation in any of the names. Particularly if there's quotes in the names; it's best to avoid that, I've been stung by a directory called "John's stuff".

However, for me a link shows in italics in dolphin, I'd expect you to have noticed that.

I looked in System Settings for the file association page. I looked for an .odt entry, but did not find one.
              If you go to System Settings -> Applications -> File Associations, and type "odt" in the find box, does it look like this (likely with different colours and font):

Name:	Spectacle.T12668.png
Size:	42.8 KB
ID:	643506
              If so, please click on the little arrow symbol beside the word "application" under "Known Types".
              Regards, John Little

Comment

Working...
              X