This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[Errors] Multiple authenticitation error message causing system to crash

I have been trying to get kmail to work but now I have set up my accounts I just get multiple error authentication error messages which causes the whole system to crash. In order to get Kubuntu to work I have to log out. I want to check the settings for my accounts but can't because of the multiple error messages which continue to come up until I Iog out.

My crystal ball broke and I find myself unable to see your messages clairvoyantly. It would be extremely helpful if you posted, to your best recollection, exactly what the messages said.
    You know, stuff like: which release of Kubuntu are you using. What is the name of your ISP and what kind of mail service does it provide? Did you let the account wizard set up your kmail accounts or did you do it manually. Did you try to do some tricky stuff?
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

I'm using Kubuntu 17.04 (64), ISP is fuel broadband which provides all the normal stuff. I tried to set up kmail using the wizard but it wouldn't work so I tried is manually. The messages said "could not authenticitate MAP email server, AP server". This box would then come up multiple times not allowing me to re-enter any data causing the whole system to crash. The only way to get out of it is to log off as I can can't even get into Konsole to kill it.

Comment

Multiple authenticitation error message causing system to crash

"MAP" or IMAP ?
        AP = "Access Point"? That's what your wireless router usually gives you.
        Is Fuel Broadband a dialup service?
        Did you attempt to set up a mail server (not a client like KMail) on your computer?

I've been looking for email connection details for you ISP and so far I can find any. I did find this, however:

https://www.resolver.co.uk/companies...ontact-details

I did find the connection details for iPrimus:
        http://www.iprimus.com.au/technical-...mail-settings/
        And here:

http://www.iprimus.com.au/technical-...o-send-emails/

But I don't know how helpful that will be. Here in Nebraska when Spectrum bought out TimeWarner our connection details didn't change.

Try these settings(just a wild guess)

Username: Given By ISP ( full Username)

Password: Given By ISP

Incomming server: pop3.fuelbroadband.co.uk ; Port: 110

Outgoing Server: smtp.fuelbroadband.co.uk ; Port: 25

No SSL
        The SMTP requires authentication (your password) but POP3 does not
        Last edited by GreyGeek; Apr 18, 2017, 09:32 AM.
        "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”

Comment

I have full access to the web via Firefox however, another multiple error message has come up:-"Login failed server replied A000002 No lookup"
          According to another thread on the ubuntu forum, this is a Gmail problem and I have to change the Gmail settings to let less secure apps access Gmail. I'm not prepared to risk security over using kmail so I think I will just resort to using Gmail on the web.
          If you have any workarounds then I would welcome them otherwise thanks very much for your time and help.

Comment

Ah, it's not a wifi connection problem or an ISP problem. You are trying to connect KMail to GMail but GMail is using new security methods. Here's the setup taken off the web:

You have to sign in using an "App Password" created using this link
            https://support.google.com/accounts/...yUnlockCaptcha

This is used for applications which:
            - Don't look secure by Googles standards.
            - Google accounts with 2-Step-Verification.

It does NOT "weaken" either KMail or GMail's security. It strengthens their connection.
            Summary of instructions:
            1. Use link above.
            2. Click "sign-in" button on top right corner of page.
            3. Sign-in.
            4. Click 2nd section called "How to generate an App password".
            5. Click "Visit your App passwords" link in step 1.
            6. Select the following two fields from their drop-down lists 'Select app = mail' and 'Select device = Other(I put KMail)'.
            7. Click "GENERATE" button.
            7. Copy 'App password' in yellow and paste this where you would put your GMail password into KMail.
            8. Click "Done" button on the 'App Password' page.
            Done

Comment

Great! Thanks for your time and help.

Comment

Working...
              X