Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is the proper way to use KDE Store?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What is the proper way to use KDE Store?

I am pretty sure I am missing something obvious because this should be simpler.

My goal: install a new widget, this one: https://store.kde.org/p/1272871/

I tried:
    1) Open launcher and input various keywords (widget, store) etc. I only found discover, but when I put it "Window Buttons Applet" it never found what I was looking for.
    2) Right click on the arrow in the tray icon and clicking on "Add widgets". It opened some store (it seems to be called "Plasma Desktop Workspace" and cannot be launched from the launcher.
    3) I discover the install button on the website (for some reason, it is really low - update2: ok, my screen was narrow, only half the width of 4K monitor:-)) and click on it. It wants me to install either `pling-store` or `ocs-url`. My package manager knows neither.
    4) I find a deb here: https://www.opendesktop.org/p/1136805/ install it with `dpkg` and then 3) start to work.

2021 is ending and this feels unnecessarily complicated. Am I missing something or is this the way to go?

Will I get an update from the KDE Store when a new version of the applet is uploaded?

Update1: where can I search in KDE Store? putting "window title" in the search on the left does not find anything. Googling "window title kde store" finds what I am looking for. I must be missing something!

Update3: When I try to install something, it offers me two packages with short names and helpful dots in the middle. When I download them, they are versions. How am I supposed to know which version is it?
    Last edited by supsup; Dec 27, 2021, 04:36 PM.

The "Get New xxx." is a portal to the KDE Store, and Discover can be used as well. The 'Install" buttons on the website don't work on all distros.

The issue is that this specific applet is not pre-built, It needs to be compiled. This is why it is not showing up in the "get new" tool, or in Discover.
    The page you linked to says so specifically:

To install it you should build yourself, installing it from Plasma Widgets Explorer directly wont work.
    If you download the file and extract the contents, there will be a file called INSTALLATION that gives you the instructions on what you need to install before running the installation script in a terminal.
    if you read the rest of the file, you will see there is a PPA for it, but this only has a package for 20.10 at the moment, so if you are running 20.04 LTS or the current 21.10, the PPA should NOT be added.

So, you can extract the contents of the file, go into that folder, and hit the f4 key, which will open a terminal panel in that location. There, you can enter copy pasta the commands to install the deps and build the applet.
    Last edited by claydoh; Dec 28, 2021, 05:54 AM.

Comment

Well, I am running 21.10 and of course I added the repository, but it seems to be running fine:-). I read that I need to installe it manually and I did. I just think it is confusing I can find the software on the web (and only through Google, not KDE Store itself) but not in the desktop interface. But that is the way, apparently:-).

Comment

Originally posted by supsup View Post
        Well, I am running 21.10 and of course I added the repository, but it seems to be running fine:-). I read that I need to installe it manually and I did. I just think it is confusing I can find the software on the web (and only through Google, not KDE Store itself) but not in the desktop interface. But that is the way, apparently:-).
        Aaah, the PPA owner finally fixed the build errors

Comment

Working...
        X