KDE Connect

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

KDE Connect

Hello, very much 'the new guy', just changed to Kubuntu after nearly 40 years with Windows, purely as a user, and because I wanted to see if I could still manage a transition as I coast through my late '70s. Well, I could, I did, and now have a specific problem with KDE Connect.
    This is my system:
    Operating System: Kubuntu 21.10
    KDE Plasma Version: 5.22.5
    KDE Frameworks Version: 5.86.0
    Qt Version: 5.15.2
    Kernel Version: 5.13.0-22-generic (64-bit)
    Graphics Platform: X11
    Processors: 2 × Intel® Pentium® CPU G630 @ 2.70GHz
    Memory: 7.6 GiB of RAM
    Graphics Processor: Mesa DRI Intel® HD Graphics 2000.
    That is all on a Medion desktop about 7 years old. Kubuntu is the only OS, Windows removed completely.

The phone is a Samsung A52 5G running Android 11.

I have KDE Connect and KDE Connect SMS set up and working in every respect except that from the PC it will not let me initiate a text message. I can select a message and reply, but the 'new' button is greyed out.
    By the by, I tried to insert a screenshot, but it won't paste here, and doesn't show on 'preview', so if there are half a dozen screenshots here when the post is live, I apologise!

I have been all around the internet looking for a solution, and I can find the problem, but mostly not relating to Plasma, and not giving me a solution.

Have I supplied enough information, and does anyone have an idea to help?
    Keithm

Originally posted by keithm View Post
    ... after nearly 40 years with Windows...
    I suppose you are counting MS-DOS, as MS Windows wasn't released until 1985 didn't become widely used till the 90's. But maybe you were beta user...
    I have KDE Connect and KDE Connect SMS set up and working in every respect except that from the PC it will not let me initiate a text message...
    KDE connect is marvellous, but has been slow to become fully functional. IMO it is still beta quality. The "new" button is greyed out for me, too.

Rather, I rely on the clipboard sync for new SMS. I type the message in my favourite text editor, copy it to the clipboard, then use the phone to compose the new message, and paste the contents.

You could try kdeconnect-cli. I got that to work a few years ago, April 2018. Back then SMS from the notification popup didn't work, or was flaky. I might give that a whirl tomorrow.

Regards, John Little

Comment

You can't insert images here because you don't have the minimum required post count (I think it's something like 5).

I haven't written an SMS in... years. Just about everyone here has either Whatsapp or Telegram - even businesses. And those have big-screen interfaces of their own.

Actually, KDE connect I seem to use only for transferring stuff - mainly pictures.
      For other things - like bank transfers, here the phone app has become pretty much mandatory - I use Scrcpy, which just puts your phone on your screen and lets you use the mouse and keyboard.
      Last edited by Don B. Cilly; Dec 21, 2021, 04:16 PM.

Comment

Thank you both for those replies. To John, well 36 years is pretty close to 40, and those days are pretty hazy now anyway. On substance, I thank you for letting me know I am not alone. I didn't understand how you get the message from the clipboard to the phone, I have in the past sent myself an email with the required text, open on the phone and then copy and paste into the messaging app, but that is always as much of a ffaff as writing anything more than a one liner on the phone itself. However, thinking through what you said, I was astonished to find that if I copy from a text on the PC, those clipboard contents immediately show up on the phone! Isn't technology wonderful?
        And can I say that KDE Connect is streets ahead of the Windows equivalent, which didn't often work at all.

To Don thanks for the hint to SCRCPY, I will look at that. As for Whatsapp etc, most of our contacts (with grey hair if any hair at all) would not know what those services were, so the text is still important.

By the by, wouldn't it be nice to know where members are located, (without giving contact information of course), as the timing of messages and responses suggests a wide spread, but as I don't know what timezone the forum clock is fixed on, that doesn't seem very reliable!

Keithm.

Comment

• Snowhog
          Snowhog commented
          Editing a comment
          "By the by, wouldn't it be nice to know where members are located,..." and yet you haven't included your location in your profile when you registered, or afterwards. Just say'n.

Scrcpy... I wouldn't bother with the wireless mode. It can be made to work, but it's... annoying.
        Just plug you phone into the PC, leave USB debugging enabled, fire it up and you have the phone on your screen. Your battery won't mind, it will like it actually *

wouldn't it be nice to know where members are located
        It would. The previous version of this software did just that, and most members did provide the location and TZ. I guess eventually it'll be restored, it hasn't been updated to the new version for long.

* I've been studying lithium chemistry recently (my whole house runs on it). Lithium batteries will last a lot longer if they're never discharged below 20% SOC (State Of Charge) or charged above 90%.

Comment

Originally posted by keithm View Post
          By the by, wouldn't it be nice to know where members are located,...
          You asked. I've provided.

The plethora of customizations and MODs that were available (and that we were using) in version 4.2.5 are almost entirely a thing of the past; vBulletin 5 is such a different beast, that customizations and MODs are as rare as hens teeth. But, there are a few.

The one I just imported allows adding selected Custom Profile Fields to Postbit Settings. As a bonus, it also includes a Send PM link. Handy.

So, Merry Christmas y'all!
          Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
          "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Getting KDE Connect to share clipboard with your phone, go to System Settings > KDE Connect > Select your phone and click on the services you want.
            Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20211222_084614.jpg
Views:	366
Size:	52.0 KB
ID:	659035

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog View Post
              You asked. I've provided.
              Very nice. :·) Is the "local time" field no longer available, then?

Comment

Date/Time is handled differently in vBulletin 5 than it was in vBulletin 4.2.5. Users can set the date/time format they see displayed in the Forum via Profile > Settings > Account, but having their 'local time' displayed isn't something vB 5 is coded to do. I'm pretty sure I asked about that in the vBulletin Forums already, and the answer was 'No.'
                Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
                "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Hi everyone, after various unsuccessful attempts, and much wandering around the net, I finally managed to get my phone into developer mode, get debug to work, changed one Samsung original usb cable for another similar, and Bingo, I now have scrcpy working fine. So, unless and until KDE Connect adds life to its 'new' button, I am content and able to type messages on a proper keyboard. Thanks to you all for your help.
                  Do I need to do anything to close this thread?
                  Keithm

Comment

Good Afternoon, i have added this reply to the exchanges from December, rather than a new topic, as it seems nothing has changed.
                    I have been using scrcpy intermittently (I don't have to send many texts) but today i plugged in entered scrcpy into Konsole, and got the cold shoulder, daemon not working or some such.
                    Rather than struggle through the steps required to correct this, i thought to use KDE Connect instead. Downloaded from PLaystore, went all through the process of set up, went into system settings and did everything required, opened KDE Connect SMS only to find the existing messages there, but the 'new' button still greyed out.
                    Has this app (if that is the correct word) ever actually worked?
                    By the way, as my lack of recent forum activity might hint, i am getting on rather well with Kubuntu, even upgraded to 22.04!
                    Keith M

Comment

I use the SMS feature, and yes the "NEW" button is greyed out, I believe this is a bug yet to be fixed. You can continue an existing conversation, or send messages to an existing contact, but not initiate one to a new number not already in your contacts list. Otherwise, ignore the button Just search and select a contact, or select an existing conversation, and type away.

Comment

Hi Keith! An 81 yr old greybeard here, minus the beard.
                        I am running KDE Neon with Plasma 5.25. I have SMS checked in KDEConnect's config. I can send and receive text messages via my Samsung GS10 Android with the latest T-Mobil updates. That includes pics sent via text messaging, which saves a lot of time if one of the kids sends a pic to my wife, who couldn't figure out how to forward a text msg to me if her life depended on it.
                        I don't have a "NEW" button. There is a text box at the bottom where I enter a msg and then the paper airplane icon on the right margin lights up. I click it and the msg sails away!
                        "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
                        – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

For sending an SMS to a new number, a workaround is to use KDE Connect's clipboard synchronization. Start your favourite text editor in Kubuntu, type the message, then copy it to the clipboard. On the phone, start a new text message and when you get to typing it, long press and tap PASTE.
                          Regards, John Little

Comment

Thanks to you all for your help. It becomes more and more confusing, First, I don't seem to have any reference to contacts on either KDE Connect, or Connect SMS. i hope to send a couple of screenshots with this.
                            Second, I thought I was up to date with PLasma 5>24, and until it was mentioned, I had no idea what Neon was (except a noble gas) but a little reading tells me I don't need to worry about it, as Kubuntu and Neon are maybe unidentical twins. Click image for larger version

Name:	KDE Connect.jpg
Views:	294
Size:	41.3 KB
ID:	663870 Click image for larger version

Name:	Connect SMS.jpg
Views:	280
Size:	37.7 KB
ID:	663871

So, folks, am i Swimmiing in treacle, or is there something i am missing in the Connect world?
                            Keith M

Comment

Working...
                            X