X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

USB Install Lags Severely After Boot Every Time

Hello all,

I have a new install of Kubuntu on an 128 GB PNY USB3.0 flashdrive. It was working very well up until last night. I am primarily using Linux for software defined radio applications and as such was installing multiple programs yesterday.

Now when I boot into my flash drive something strange happens after I login:

(1) the system becomes extremely laggy and there are literally 10s of seconds between any user input and the appropriate reaction

(2) the PNY USB LED is constantly blinking, non-stop. This leads me to believe it is writing something somewhere.

(3) I am able to run commands, programs, etc. very slowly. I have run top and what is strange is the CPU usage seen there does not match what is seen in the system monitor. My Macbook's fans have not turned on, and the temp feels normal so I know that the CPU is not being taxed as heavily as system monitor says (top also backs this up).

While trying to figure this out on my own, the strangest thing happened: after nearly 50 minutes of blinking / lag, the blinking stopped and everything went back to normal. I used the computer for about 20 minutes, and everything seemed okay. So naturally I rebooted and tried to see if I could repeat the problem. That lead to this post, since it is currently doing the exact same thing.

My guess is it will stop in about 40 minutes. A friend suggested it might be writing stuff to RAM, but I feel like that is not all that is happening,

Has anyone had a similar exeperience or any suggestions on what my next steps should be? Obviously I would like to avoid a fresh install but that is always an option. Also, could this somehow be bootlader-related?

Sounds like you've got some indexing process going on in the background. Akonadi or some such thing. Ksysguard is the app you want to run. You can sort on the CPU% header to put the heavy users at the top of the list, and you can change to the "Network" tab to see CPU usage and such. If you see indexing you can right mouse on the row and select "Set Priority" and make it faster so it will get done sooner.

Or, open a Konsole and run sudo htop, if you have it installed. If not, sudo apt update && sudo apt install htop.
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Working...
    X