Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do I remove, purge then reinstall eSword? My install is corrupted?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[Installation] How do I remove, purge then reinstall eSword? My install is corrupted?

Kubuntu 14.04LTS current.

My version of eSword is corrupted. How do I remove my version then purge any other data that may be affected, then re-install eSword once more?

I need very basic help. I am quite old and have forgotten much that I need to accomplish this task. I will be eternally grateful for any help you may provide.

Shab
    Last edited by Shabakthanai; Mar 27, 2017, 01:55 AM. Reason: Forgot to mention my OS.

Code:
    apt purge eSword
    purge will remove the program data as well as user created data

to install again use
    Code:
    apt install eSword
    Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
    (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

In a konsole I would do the following -:

sudo apt update (not really necessary but ensures all package info is up to date)

You will be asked for your root password, probably just the once in this sequence

Option 1. This repairs a damaged package

sudo apt-get -f install package name - I don't have eSword so don't know the actual name

Try eSword and see if things have improved?

Option 2. Purge and re-install

sudo apt purge eSword - as it says

sudo apt autoremove - clears any possible left-over junk

sudo apt install eSword

Jim

Comment

Thanks for the reply, Jim.

If eSword was installed using Wine, will the process be different?

I found it in //home /steven/.wine/dosdevices/c:/Program Files (x86)/e-Sword/ ...then many files and folders. Nothing mentioned uninstall.

Originally posted by Worzel View Post
        In a konsole I would do the following -:

sudo apt update (not really necessary but ensures all package info is up to date)

You will be asked for your root password, probably just the once in this sequence

Option 1. This repairs a damaged package

sudo apt-get -f install package name - I don't have eSword so don't know the actual name

Try eSword and see if things have improved?

Option 2. Purge and re-install

sudo apt purge eSword - as it says

sudo apt autoremove - clears any possible left-over junk

sudo apt install eSword

Jim

Comment

oh its installed Via wine that gonna be a tad bit different.

1. do you use wine for anything else? if not just delete your ~/.wine folder and open winecfg this will create a new prefix and you can reinstall esword from there.
          2. do you use wine for other stuff? use the add/remove program in winetricks , winetricks -> run uninstall -> select eSword form the list (this will use the uninstaller that the program came with)
          Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
          (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

Shab, Have you seen Bible Analyzer?
            http://www.bibleanalyzer.com/
            You don't need WINE because it has a Linux version using a deb package.
            Once you download it just right click on it from Dolphin and choose "Open with" and QApt Package Installer.
            Last edited by GreyGeek; Mar 27, 2017, 08:36 PM.
            "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
            – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Working...
            X