Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Don't Undestand Memory Stats

Hi
    Just installed Kabuntu 20.04 LTS as a dual boot on the harddrive. I went through the on- screen prompts and for the dual boot selected 50GB to allocate to Kabuntu.
    All is good so far.

I don't quite understand the memory stats Kabuntu is showing:

I opened Dolphin and it shows: HOME: 31.5 GB free
    That seems ok.

When I go to KInforCenter > Memory:
    it shows the following:

Total physical memory: 3.2. Gib
    Free physical memory: 723 Mib
    Shared memory: 44 Mib
    Disk Buffers: 35.9 Mib
    Disk cache: 604 Mib

These numbers seems rather low. If I allocated 50GB to Kabuntu shouldn't they be higher?
    I wonder am I running out of memory?

Thanks

The 31.5 GB is storage, what you've called the "harddrive", the 3.2 GiB is RAM (random access memory).
    Regards, John Little

Comment

Ok thanks.

So these small numbers are not an issue?
      Free physical memory: 723 Mib, Shared memory: 44 Mib, Disk Buffers: 35.9 Mib, Disk cache: 604 Mib

I followed the online menus for installation should I assume they are automatically created.

Comment

Disregard - I opened 8 applications and the memory stats adjusted downwards, but still everything was running smoothly.
        I suppose it depends on the RAM as you mentioned.

Comment

I didn't have time to study these, but they both look useful and explain some of these issues, apparent and "real":

https://unix.stackexchange.com/quest...-buffers-cache
          https://community.fireeye.com/s/article/000002198

(My Google search string was: shared memory, disk buffers, disk cache. Lots of good things popped up.)
          An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Hey thanks. I did read those, the best line was:
            You have 10 giga free RAM. If a monitoring system alerts you about that - fix the monitoring system.
            Being new to Kabuntu I was more curious if was my computer - seeing how no one else has posted on this and the huge number of downloads, doesn't seem like a problem.
            As John noted it's the RAM number that is key.

The system is fast even with 7 applications open. Thx

Comment

This :
              linuxatemyram.com

Comment

Thanks, very interesting. (Someone actually registered a domain for this - must be a hot topic.)

I ran 'free -m' - I have 698Mib

From the link this point make it all clear:
                To see how much ram your applications could use without swapping,

Comment

Originally posted by eriknext View Post
                  Thanks, very interesting. (Someone actually registered a domain for this - must be a hot topic.)
                  It is an old topic ,
                  Memory usage is definitely different from Windows, and has been a common point of confusion for new users for as long as I can remember - the page has been around since at least 2009.

Comment

Good to know. Yup, windows is different for sure. I was on another linux os for 2 years and first time with ubunutu, plus I just purchased a used laptop so was wondering if it might have been my computer. Thanks.

Comment

I also use
                      Code:
                      vmstat -s
                      to check ram usage.
                      Boot Info Script

Comment

Working...
                      X