X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Black Screen with curser when I enable Bluetooth module in Bios

Hi everyone,

I just today installed my first Linux (Kubuntu obviously, as I post here). I was more and more annoyed by Windows.

But I had tried Garuda and also Elementary OS before that, but both did not work. Garuda I was able to install and after first boot all was fine. After Reboot my mouse and Keyboard failed. So I was in Login Screen, but nothing worked. I did not find anything that helped me with this issue. Elementary OS installed, but there on the log in screen mouse and keyboard did not work once.

I thought, lets try Garuda again. But this time Linux live was not even able to boot anymore. (Could not get the drivers during start up, and there was no way to fix it for me. nouveau.mode=0 did not help)

So on to Kubuntu. This did work, but not without hassle. I have it running though. I had to use my internal gpu (i7 7700K and 1080ti) and nouveau.mode=0 for it to actually make it to the log in screen. Then I reinstalled the propriatary drivers for my graphics card (weridly enough, the correct one was already installed) and it appeared to work from now on.

But the kicker is, that I found my Bluetooth adapter (on my asus maximus formula IX) not working in windows today. So I thougt beeing in the bios maybe disable and enable it and hope that fixes it. It did work the day before and for that matter even in Garuda flawlessly. So I did disable the module, before I installed Kubuntu. I now tried to enable it, and if I do this, Kubuntu does not boot properly. It shows me the black screen with movable cursor. I cannot find anything on this...

Does anyone have a clue whats going on here? (BTW Bluetooth driver in Linux are up to date, Bluetoothmodule is not found in Windows, even when enabled, but there is a USB Device which Windows cannot install properly, because there are missing USB information.) Did I break my BT-Module?

Which version of Kubuntu?

Do you know any information about your Bluetooth device/wifi chip?
    Maybe your specific and specific computer make and model number could help, though I assume it is a home-built unit?

A couple of things to try right now:
    IF you can actually log in the the desktop, AND you do have the mouse cursor, then try this:
    • hit alt-spacebar or alt-f2
    • if the Krunner box opens, type this and hit enter: plasmashell
    • see if Plasma desktop runs successfully
    • If it works, the problem may not be related to bluetooth at all.
    • Try disabling Secure Boot in the bios
    • check for any bios updates - probably not useful, but won't hurt
    If you are having trouble in Windows, you could have a hardware problem. As far as I can tell, the hardware should be fairly well supported overall, but being Qualcom Atheros (I think?), it could be hit or miss, or take some work finding the right firmware files ( I am not very familiar with this brand myself)

Comment

I use 21.10. I cannot tell you, what bluetoothmodule it is. I find no documentation and in Software, I get no information. Linux does not boot properly, windows gets no device information... But I think you are right with Qualcom Atheros. (It is in combination with WLAN) It is homebuild. MoBo is asus maximus formula IX.

I just tried again to boot with it enabled, and the first time I had no mouse or keyboard but was able to see the login screen (alt+F2 did not work). Second and third time I had black screen with cursor, no input possible. I disabled it and again it booted normal. But then while browsing to this post and starting to type, Mouse and keyboard stopped working.

I did try to use KDE Connect to move the mouse, which also did not work. I had a connection, put nothing moved. That as I only had static Items on the display I could not tell, if the screen was frozen or only my input did not work. Next I wait a minute to see, if the time changes.

Comment

Are you using bluetooth mouse and keyboard? Do you have a wired keyboard you can connect and try?
        Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
        "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

I am using USB Mouse and Keyboard. Just now after installing newer Nvidia drivers (the not tested ones, 490 Version) I booted once again into black screen with mouse movement. After a restart again, but after 30s or so, the log in screen appeared. It is really strange to me. No Idea whats going on. I cannot reproduce it.

Comment

Problem is gone, I have not idea why...

Comment

Working...
            X