Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[Settings] User Authentication from multiple sources, integrated biometric device working

Hey! First time post and new to forums in general, but here goes:

I've got a Lenovo ThinkPad W550S laptop with an integrated biometric device [fingerprint scanner], which used to work flawlessly with my now-nuked Windows 10 Pro OS which came installed with the computer.

I have gotten the device working my new KDE Neon distribution of Ubuntu using a program I downloaded called Fingerprint GUI. it recognizes several of my fingers and can successfully authenticate them, but I've run into a snag.
    Now, whenever I log in, I must use my password first, at which point the indicator light on the scanner flashes, and I have to also scan my finger to reach my desktop.

How do I change my settings so that I can use either the scanner or my password to log in, but not both.
    (And I'll settle for simple login, I don't necessarily need the console to accept my fingerprint when it wants to authenticate my sudo permissions)

I'm... less than proficient with the console, so a menu-oriented fix will help with my repeat-ability.
    I can, however, copy down exact commands if given them.

Thanks, Beav

Welcome to Kubuntu Forums . Net.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say "I don't think" you can use the fingerprint scanner instead of the manual login at the Login Greeter screen, as until you log in, installed applications aren't yet available.

Now, if you want to avoid having to manually login, you can elect Auto Login so you don't even see the Login Greeter screen. Then, given what you've described, you should only be asked to scan your fingerprint to 'reach my desktop.'
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Working...
    X