X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Query about discover

Hi.

I do not like to discover, sometimes I do not find applications that are in the repos so I would like to uninstall it. If I uninstall it, how do I get the update applet to continue notifying me?

Thank you.

What are you going to use instead? I switched to Muon. I have muon, muon-notifier and muon-updater installed. For grins and giggles I also have Synaptic installed. Choices. Love'm!
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

If I try to install muon it marks me as dependencies muon-updater, plasma-discover and plasma-discover-common.

Comment

That's correct.
        Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
        "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

In my opinion Discover looks great but still has a ways to go to get all the way there. Users need to understand that Discover is like a software store. It is not a 'package manager'. nor is it intended to be one. They are separate things. Having said that, the fact that Discover doesn't see all applications available (at least in an Ubuntu-based system - not sure how that works on rpm-based and other distributions) makes it less than ideal.

What I have been long waiting for is for Discover to both
          a) See all available applications within the distribution's application ecosystem, and
          b) Integration with store.kde.org

Once those two things happen, if they ever do, Discover will finally reach it's true, glorious potential. And still will not replace the need for a package manager, i.e. Muon.

Peace.
          ​"Keep it between the ditches"
          K*Digest Blog
          K*Digest on Twitter

Comment

Originally posted by dequire View Post
            In my opinion Discover looks great but still has a ways to go to get all the way there. Users need to understand that Discover is like a software store. It is not a 'package manager'. nor is it intended to be one. They are separate things. Having said that, the fact that Discover doesn't see all applications available (at least in an Ubuntu-based system - not sure how that works on rpm-based and other distributions) makes it less than ideal.

What I have been long waiting for is for Discover to both
            a) See all available applications within the distribution's application ecosystem, and
            b) Integration with store.kde.org

Once those two things happen, if they ever do, Discover will finally reach it's true, glorious potential. And still will not replace the need for a package manager, i.e. Muon.

Peace.
            While Discovery "looks" great, it doesn't work that great. The image loading is enough to make it obnoxious to use, EVEN IF it could show all the packages in the repository. MOST of the repository packages do not have GUI front ends or are not GUI applications at all: libraries, etc. That's why I prefer the display format in Synaptic or Muon.
            "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”

Comment

So to use muon you have to maintain also discover?

Comment

Originally posted by jony127 View Post
                So to use muon you have to maintain also discover?
                I didn't remove Discover and so it gets updated when ever the developers send an update down the pipe. I never use it, though.
                Here is why I won't remove it:
                Code:
                [B]apt-cache depends discover[/B]
                discover
                  Depends: libc6
                  Depends: libdiscover2
                 |Depends: debconf
                  Depends: <debconf-2.0>
                    cdebconf
                    debconf
                  Conflicts: <discover1>
                  Suggests: lsb-base

[B]apt-cache rdepends discover[/B]
                discover
                Reverse Depends:
                  libdiscover2
                 |plasma-desktop
                 |plasma-desktop
                 |plasma-desktop
                 |plasma-desktop
                 |plasma-desktop
                 |plasma-desktop
                 |plasma-desktop
                 |bootcd

Comment

Working...
                X