X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Grub Has Got Me or Please Help Me Again

I am currently in Windows 10 which is shared with Kubuntu 14.04

As I logged in to that particular laptop. into Windows 10. it immediately went into one of those rather large updates where it states the computer will start and turn off several times. It got to approximately 25% download when the screen went black with the following:

error: file '/boot/grub/x86_64-efi/normal.mod' not found
    Entering rescue mode...
    grub rescue> _

Please rescue me and grub.
    Kubuntu 14.04 / KDE 4.13.3 / GRUB Version: 0.97-29ubuntu66
    HP15 -
    -f033wm Laptop / CPU: Intel / GPU: Intel Corporation Atom Processor / RAM: 8GB / Hard Drive: 1 each / Seagate / Optical Drive: HP DVDRW GUB0N / Windows 10

Here's my thinking out loud though I have no idea if it means anything.

Updating Windows 10 and it states it will go through a series of reboots; do not turn off.

When my computer is turned off and I turn it on, the grub page opens with boot options of Ubuntu and Windows If I don't select one, it's defaulted to Ubuntu (Kubuntu) which is at the top of the list (see attached).

Therefore I think the possibility exists that during this Windows update reboot, It screws up because Ubuntu is the default boot. So if this is the case I should be able to change my OS boot priority to Windows by using a tool such as Grub Customizer? Then as I continue the Windows 10 update, as it gets to those times when the automatic restart is to take place, Windows will be the default in grub thus the update should continue on without error. Maybe?

Last edited by logan01; Mar 01, 2017, 08:56 PM.
    Kubuntu 14.04 / KDE 4.13.3 / GRUB Version: 0.97-29ubuntu66
    HP15 -
    -f033wm Laptop / CPU: Intel / GPU: Intel Corporation Atom Processor / RAM: 8GB / Hard Drive: 1 each / Seagate / Optical Drive: HP DVDRW GUB0N / Windows 10

Comment

Working...
    X