This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[Multimedia] Audio skips

Hi people, i have a problem with my lenovo G50-30 in the latest kubuntu release, the audio (viewing a video or playing music) randomly skips like a dirty CD, i tried changing the alsa config file with "fix-position" thingy but it doesn't change anything, thanks for the help in advance!

Welcome to the forum. This fixed a similar problem with my 14.04. Though this exposes my ignorance of Kubuntu, I hope it can help you.

https://www.kubuntuforums.net/showth...Driving-Me-Mad

Believe this thread was 6 pages on my lap top. If this command is applicable to Kubuntu 15 in Konsole, it fixed mine:

sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade
    Kubuntu 14.04 / KDE 4.13.3 / GRUB Version: 0.97-29ubuntu66
    HP15 -
    -f033wm Laptop / CPU: Intel / GPU: Intel Corporation Atom Processor / RAM: 8GB / Hard Drive: 1 each / Seagate / Optical Drive: HP DVDRW GUB0N / Windows 10

Comment

Originally posted by logan01 View Post
      sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade
      Using sudo apt-get upgrade will, eventually, wreck (some degree of) havoc on your system due to how it handles conflicts in package dependencies -- it doesn't. You are much better served if you use sudo apt-get dist-upgrade (or if using the newer 'apt', sudo apt full-upgrade.

Do youself a huge favor and look at man apt (or man apt-get) and note the differences between upgrade and dist-upgrade (or full-upgrade).
      Last edited by Snowhog; Feb 25, 2017, 01:30 PM.
      Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
      "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Did you correct the problem? I wasn't aware of the info provided by Snowhog. I too now have my old problem similar to yours. Random skip / static crap. All was well since I "fixed" it last year until 2 days? ago. I was needing a simple graphic / photo edit / paint style app. Downloaded a recommended one and it would have almost been like relearning PhotoShop. Went through 3 more apps and none would do what I needed. said screw it.

With each I installed / uninstalled with Muon. That along with a few software "updates" (the ones that are pushed to me) and there went my audio. I tried (probably wrongly) doing Snowhog's recommended cmds. No change. I then tried the ones I had posted for you and still no change. I don't believe that the apps and / or software updates are only coincidental with my audio problem. I just don't have the smarts to repair it. And a really bizarre problem I've been having and somehow "fixed" came back at the same time. About fed up. I wish we had a simple system restore like ...

has.
        HP15 -
        -f033wm Laptop / CPU: Intel / GPU: Intel Corporation Atom Processor / RAM: 8GB / Hard Drive: 1 each / Seagate / Optical Drive: HP DVDRW GUB0N / Windows 10

Comment

Had a couple of updates in the past couple of days and my audio normalized. Ridiculous.
          HP15 -

Comment

I just don't have the smarts to repair it. And a really bizarre problem I've been having and somehow "fixed" came back at the same time. About fed up. I wish we had a simple system restore like ... has.
            "oshunlover has"?

Oshunlover is running btrfs, not ext4. It uses snapshots. Before an update one takes a snapshot of the system. After the update another snapshot is taken. If the update causes problems a simple command rolls back the changes to the state of the first update. An app called "snapper" makes it easy.
            I wrote a script to do it.
            Code:
            #!/bin/bash
            # created by Jerry L Kreps on July 20, 2015 and released under the GPL 2.0.
            # This script merely creates a snapshot in both root and home with the designation of PRE or POST as the type, 
            # which indicates that the user created it before an action or afterwards.
            # This script is run with PRE as the TYPE before an action which you may want to reverse
            # AND this script run again with POST as the TYPE after that action has been completed.  Both snapshots are singletons because
            # no timeline is used.  Only the "PRE" or"POST" in the description, along with a timestamp, links the pre to the post snapshot.
            # To reverse the action run the following two snapper commands:
            #
            # snapper -c home udochange n..m   where n or o is the number of the PRE and m or p is the number of the POST snapshot
            # sudo snapper -c root undochange o..p
            #
            # After running those two commands both of the empty snapshots folders can be deleted using
            #
            # snapper -c home delete n-m
            # sudo snapper -c root delete o-p
            #
            #
            #
            NOW=$(date +%Y%m%d%H%M)
            echo Enter snapshot type PRE or POST:
            read TYPE
            echo Enter description
            read DESC
            STR=$TYPE" "$DESC" "$NOW
            echo $STR
            HCMD='snapper -c home create -d "'${STR}'"'
            RCMD='sudo snapper -c root create -d "'${STR}'"'
            eval "$HCMD"
            eval "$RCMD"
            The "rollback" changes are made using

snapper -c home udochange n..m
            sudo snapper -c root undochange o..p

(where n or o is the number of the PRE and m or p is the number of the POST snapshot)
            You'll LOVE btrfs!
            "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
            – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Well, well, well. Ain't that something? You two guys are too darned smart. I am very slowly gonna try and absorb what you posted there. Thanks GG.
              HP15 -

Comment

W... I am very slowly gonna try and absorb what you posted there. Thanks GG.
                Oshunluver has made some great and informative posts about btrfs on this forum. You can search for them using his handle & btrfs.
                "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
                – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Thank you.
                  HP15 -

Comment

Working...
                  X