This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dimension 4600 and UBuntu

I found a Dimension 4600 in my closet. It used to be an XP 32 bit computer. I am trying to install Kubuntu on it. I upgraded the HDD to a 160GB Maxtor. The ram is about 1 gb with two sticks. I think they are DDr2 ram sticks. I think it is an Intel 4 CPU. I am not sure about the other details.

Other than I am currently using an Amazon basics USB mouse and USB keyboard. I am using a DVI to HDMI video connection to use my HDMI TV as a monitor.

I had two ram sticks that were not part of the original computer set up in but I removed them.

You haven't asked a question.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Can I use kubuntu on my machine? I am having difficulty booting the computer.

Comment

First, which version of Kubuntu are you attempting to run? Second, what are you trying to boot it from; Live DVD, Live USB, or ? Third, how did you create the bootable media?

When you say "having difficulty booting", exactly what is happening?
        Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
        "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

The ram is about 1 gb
          This is most likely the issue. The live installer session really needs more ram as the compressed image is quite large.

Unfortunately most Ubuntu based distros no longer have the low ram textmode installers aside from Lubuntu.

There are ways around this
          https://help.ubuntu.com/community/In...tion/MinimalCD

But in my opinion 1 gb ram and Plasma are not a good mix, even KDE4 (Kubuntu 14.04). Lubuntu is a great choice for an old system such as yours. Light but still featureful.

sent from my LG V10 using Tapatalk
          Last edited by claydoh; Jan 28, 2017, 10:14 PM. Reason: dang autocorrect

Comment

Back at home. I went to the Gym to work out some. It is Kubuntu LInux 16.04.1 LTS 32 bit on a live USB stick. I did not create the USB stick as I have no access to a computer. I got the USB stick through Amazon. The usb had two versions of Kubuntu on it but both are Kubuntu Linux 16 something

Comment

On that hardware platform you'd be better off running Xubuntu or Lubuntu. I think Kubuntu 4> will likely be very sluggish on that laptop even with Desktop Effects turned off.
              Desktop PC: Intel Core-i5-4670 3.40Ghz, 16Gb Crucial ram, Asus H97-Plus MB, 128Gb Crucial SSD + 2Tb Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 HDD running Kubuntu 18.04 LTS and Kubuntu 14.04 LTS (on SSD).
              Laptop: HP EliteBook 8460p Core-i5-2540M, 4Gb ram, Transcend 120Gb SSD, currently running Deepin 15.8 and Manjaro KDE 18.

Comment

Working...
              X