X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How do you hibernate the pc?

Hello,

I do not see the option to hibernate, can not it ?. So far in other distros I have had no problem.

Thank you.

Hibernation has been disabled in Kubuntu for some time now because of problems many people were having with it not waking up correctly.

I used to have it enabled on my old system that only had 2Gb memory. But my new system has 16Gb of ram which means hibernation would have to write that whole 16Gb out to the hard drive and read it back again when waking up, probably taking longer than cold booting would. So I've never bothered enabling it on the new system.

If you really need to enable hibernation this page shows how to test it and enable it if the test is successful. You will need to edit a system config file with root privileges to change it (use kdesudo kate to do this or if you're comfortable with the terminal use sudo nano).
    Desktop PC: Intel Core-i5-4670 3.40Ghz, 16Gb Crucial ram, Asus H97-Plus MB, 128Gb Crucial SSD + 2Tb Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 HDD running Kubuntu 18.04 LTS and Kubuntu 14.04 LTS (on SSD).
    Laptop: HP EliteBook 8460p Core-i5-2540M, 4Gb ram, Transcend 120Gb SSD, currently running Deepin 15.8 and Manjaro KDE 18.

Comment

BTW, you need to have a swap partition that is at least as big as your system memory to hibernate the system.
      Desktop PC: Intel Core-i5-4670 3.40Ghz, 16Gb Crucial ram, Asus H97-Plus MB, 128Gb Crucial SSD + 2Tb Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 HDD running Kubuntu 18.04 LTS and Kubuntu 14.04 LTS (on SSD).
      Laptop: HP EliteBook 8460p Core-i5-2540M, 4Gb ram, Transcend 120Gb SSD, currently running Deepin 15.8 and Manjaro KDE 18.

Comment

Originally posted by Rod J View Post
        BTW, you need to have a swap partition that is at least as big as your system memory to hibernate the system.
        Modern kernels compress the hibernation image; target size is 2/5 of installed RAM but can be modified. Good read here -

https://www.kernel.org/doc/Documenta.../interface.txt
        we see things not as they are, but as we are.
        -- anais nin

Comment

Thanks, I'll follow the instructions on that page to try. This is strange because linux mint 17 hibernates perfectly and is based on ubuntu.

Comment

Originally posted by Rod J View Post
            I used to have it enabled on my old system that only had 2Gb memory. But my new system has 16Gb of ram which means hibernation would have to write that whole 16Gb out to the hard drive and read it back again when waking up, probably taking longer than cold booting would.
            Do you 'sleep' (suspend to RAM)? This is pretty fast. But obviously doesn't protect against the battery running out if you're going to leave it for days.

What I'd like is hybrid sleep, where the computer retains everything in RAM for quick restart if the battery isn't drained, but also writes to disk (ideally SSD for speed). https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hybrid_sleep
            Has anyone made (or tried to make) Linux support for hybrid sleep work?

I see Linux 3.6 kernel released with 'hybrid sleep' capability
            And some discussion here How do I use pm-suspend-hybrid by default instead of pm-suspend? - Ask Ubuntu
            I'd rather be locked out than locked in.

Comment

Originally posted by SecretCode View Post
              Do you 'sleep' (suspend to RAM)? This is pretty fast. But obviously doesn't protect against the battery running out if you're going to leave it for days.
              Yes, I use suspend mode daily, sometimes several times a day with no problems. My system is a desktop though, so no battery issues here.

Comment

Working...
              X