X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to update the software in kubuntu?

Hi.

I added the repo backports and I see that there are differences between apt-get upgrade and aptitude upgrade, the second command update more packages than the first one. At the end update with aptitude upgrade but, what is the best way to keep the distro updated without problems?

Thank you.

From the konsole/terminal, sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog View Post
      From the konsole/terminal, sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
      I prefer sudo apt update and sudo apt full-upgrade as separate commands; I'm not sure what apt update will return on a warning (on an error Snowhog's && will stop the second command from running). apt full-upgrade is equivalent to apt-get dist-upgrade but is slightly prettier.

Anyway, a reason for running the commands in a konsole is that you see what happens if something goes wrong. IME:
      • the non-free software for flash and MS fonts have caused trouble because they download and run stuff that has screwed up
      • my country's repositories have been failing
      • there's been internet connection problems

and using the CLI has indicated what's going on.

Nice GUI working is great for ordinary users, but unless the GUI developer anticipates everything that can go wrong there's compromises. F. ex. I support my mother-in-law's Lubuntu install and it stopped updating (with a flash problem) and she didn't know.

John Little
      Regards, John Little

Comment

Working...
      X