X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can't click or use keyboard on new install [Kubuntu 16.10]

Good Day

I am having some trouble getting my Kubuntu install up and running. I have installed Kubuntu 16.10 (dual booting with Windows 10).

It boots successfully and I am able to type in my password and log in, but when I get to the desktop I cannot click on anything, but I can move my mouse around. My keyboard is also unresponsive except for the number keys at the top of the keyboard. For some reason when I restart the X Window Server (using sudo sysctl service sddm.service restart) I am able to use the desktop correctly (my mouse and keyboard both work).

I have enabled legacy USB options in my BIOS and I am also booting using BIOS booting. I also had the same problem while installing Kubuntu (where I had to restart the X Window Server) and I also had the same server during and after installation of Kubuntu 16.04.1

I have no idea what could be causing this. I will appreciate any help.

Regards
    Gerrie

I'm assuming you have a Desktop PC? The keyboard is a USB connection? Some PC hardware information would be most helpful.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Yes you are assuming correctly, sorry for not providing those details initially.

I am running a Asus P8-Z77-V LX motherboard with an i5 and 16GB of RAM. The mouse I am currently using is a R.A.T. 7 but I have also tried with a generic mouse and the problem persists. The keyboard and mouse both use USB and the keyboard also has a USB hub (one usb port).

The mouse is plugged into the usb port on the keyboard, but as I stated, I have also tried a generic usb mouse and it was plugged into a different port.

The odd thing is that I can move the mouse around but whenever I hover over something (like the "start button" at the bottom left) the hover effect doesn't show and I can't click on the button. But then when I restart the X Server the hover effect shows again and I can once again click on the buttons.

Since I run Windows as well, I am relatively sure that the keyboard and mouse (and their ports) work correctly.

EDIT:

Actually after playing around a bit more, it seems that the keyboard is working. I can use Alt+F1 to open applications and do other stuff, but the mouse still won't click. Sometimes I even get the hover effect (though sometimes I don't) but I am simply not able to click on anything until I restart the X Server.

Comment

try plugging the mouse into the box instead of the keyboard

VINNY
        i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
        16GB RAM
        Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Originally posted by vinnywright View Post
          try plugging the mouse into the box instead of the keyboard

VINNY
          I have already tried plugging the mouse directly into my PC instead of the keyboard, but no luck.

Comment

Working...
          X