Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Messed up fstab. Now file system is read-only and cannot repair fstab because of it.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Messed up fstab. Now file system is read-only and cannot repair fstab because of it.

I did a wrong manipulation with the fstab file.

It has a wrong UUID for the / mount point. The fstab file with the right UUID is in fstab.bkp.

Now at startup, the file system is mounted read-only. So I cannot rename or edit fstab anymore.

Is there a way to get out of this other than a clean install ? Some mount/remount with --fstab /etc/fstab.bkp ?

You'll need to utilize chroot. See https://help.ubuntu.com/community/LiveCdRecovery for how this is done. Don't worry that the link doesn't address "your issue"; using chroot allows you to mount the installed OS without booting the installed OS. Then you can work with the mounted partitions/data.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by Erwin Smout View Post
      I did a wrong manipulation with the fstab file.

It has a wrong UUID for the / mount point. The fstab file with the right UUID is in fstab.bkp.

Now at startup, the file system is mounted read-only. So I cannot rename or edit fstab anymore.

Is there a way to get out of this other than a clean install ? Some mount/remount with --fstab /etc/fstab.bkp ?
      just fire up a live cd/usb mount the partition it's on and edit away.

VINNY
      i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
      16GB RAM
      Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Originally posted by vinnywright View Post
        just fire up a live cd/usb mount the partition it's on and edit away.
        Yup. Snowhog mentioned chroot which caused me to do a bit of a doubletake; but I do think we're all talking about doing the same thing
        we see things not as they are, but as we are.
        -- anais nin

Comment

Originally posted by wizard10000 View Post
          Yup. Snowhog mentioned chroot which caused me to do a bit of a doubletake; but I do think we're all talking about doing the same thing
          yes I think we are as well ,,,,,,,but we do not need a chroot just to edit the /etc/fstab file ,,,,,,,,,to do things like use "passwd" ,,,then yes a chroot is necessary.

VINNY
          i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
          16GB RAM
          Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

My how-to does some of this stuff (mount and edit key files, without chroot, etc.):

Using Your Live Kubuntu DVD/USB to Fix Things
            https://www.kubuntuforums.net/showth...l=1#post379485
            An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Thanks to all.

In this case, mount -o remount,rw --fstab=/etc/fstab.bkp / got the job done after all.

I'll try and remember about chroot.

Comment

Working...
              X