This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[solved] correct driver?

hi, i'm not particularly new to linux but i'm new to kubuntu so i decided to post here.

i have an nVidia Geforce 6600 card with the nvidia-glx drivers installed. i was wondering if this was correct as glxgears doesn't give me an fps rating at all! it allways has done on previous linux installs.

do i need the nvidia-glx-legacy driver? (hope not it's a pretty recent card) the info in adept wasn't particularly informative.

this may seem obvious to most people, but i've always installed nvidia drivers using the .run package from the nvidia website - i've never come across two different sets of drivers before.

thanx in advance

rob

Re: correct driver?

Try glxgears -printfps.

Before you edit, BACKUP !

Why there are dead links ?
    1. Thread: Please explain how to access old kubuntu forum posts
    2. Thread: Lost Information

Comment

More about glxgears.

This page (http://www.mail-archive.com/debian-b...msg231596.html) says that:

In other distributions glxgears shows FPS without any additional command line arguments. So the man which used other distributions before expects to see FPS every 5 seconds. That fact that glxgears does not makes him think that he needs to specify some command line arguments. To see which exactly he usually use either glxgears --help or man glxgears. Both these methods show nothing that's why I think that it is very important for glxgears to have man page.
      So it's specific to debian (and debian based distributions).
      Before you edit, BACKUP !

Why there are dead links ?
      1. Thread: Please explain how to access old kubuntu forum posts
      2. Thread: Lost Information

Comment

thanx Rog131,

i'm getting almost 4000 fps so i guess i got the correct driver.

rob

Comment

Working...
        X