Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New install going in on Monday - never had an AMD linux machine...thoughts?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well, I'm having some pretty serious problems here, all AMD driver related. The other part of the issue is that I'm trying to install Steam and there are some legacy 32-bit library issues there too that I think are really mucking things up. So far I've tried Kubuntu 16.10, Neon 16.04, Ubuntu 16.04.1, Kubuntu 12.04, and Kubuntu 14.04.03. The part that really freaked me out was that on one of the installs I had to manually configure the disc partitions because the installer couldn't mount it right and the installer locked up. So not good.

Running Kubuntu 14.04 at present, but I know the drivers are totally hosed, so I'm going to reinstall and try again. One question for everyone out there, in that AMD driver file there are 4 files. Which should I use?

fglrx-amdcccle_14.502-0ubuntu1_amd64_UB_14.01.deb
    core_14.502-0ubuntu1_amd64_UB_14.01.deb

dev_14.502-0ubuntu1_amd64_UB_14.01.deb

fglrx_14.502-0ubuntu1_amd64_UB_14.01.deb

Two of them (cannot recall which) give a warning saying they'll break some dependencies (pretty sure "core" is one of them).

The missing libraries from steam are basically this error message: http://askubuntu.com/questions/58802...4-ubuntu-64bit

The part that made steam run for me was the "This is what actually works on 14.04" about half way down the page. BUT - everything runs about 1 frame every 5 seconds.

Comment

As far as the drivers go, this was helpful:

https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source...buntu0.14.04.1

Pretty sure I must have installed "core" because my graphics sucked. Going to try just the fglrx...

Comment

Keep in mind that the FGLRX drivers are the proprietary ones and will only install on 14.04. As I stated above, the RedeonSI drivers are the default and are installed by default, so there's no need to install anything if you're using Kubuntu 16.04, 16.10, or Neon (I'm using Neon atm).
        ​"Keep it between the ditches"
        K*Digest Blog
        K*Digest on Twitter

Comment

Yeah, I found out about the status of FGLRX right as I was leaving for the weekend. Neon looks gorgeous and everything works great, minus getting steam to work properly. Going to do some searching in the Steam forums and see what I can come up with there.

Thanks for the thoughts on this everyone, this has been an interesting ride!

Comment

Steam works fine in 16.04 on my recently retired six year old Acer 7739 latop, and it works even better on this four year old Acer V3-771G laptop using the NVidia 640M GPU. And, I am using the steam package from the repository. There must be something about your installation (or hardware) that is breaking Steam.
            "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
            – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

What repository is it in? It's not in any of the "stock" repositories that I'm aware of. It is for Ubuntu, but not Kubuntu, and I haven't encountered it in Neon. I won't be at the computer till tomorrow afternoon, so I don't have specifics right now unfortunately.

Comment

Code:
                vinny@vinny-Bonobo-Extreme:~$ apt search steam
                Sorting... Done
                Full Text Search... Done

<snip>-------------------------

sl/xenial 3.03-17build1 amd64
                  Correct you if you type `sl' by mistake

[COLOR=#ff0000]steam/xenial,now 1:1.0.0.48-1ubuntu3 i386 [installed]
                  Valve's Steam digital software delivery system[/COLOR]

steamcmd/xenial 0~20130205-1 i386
                  Command-line interface for Valve's Steam

youtube-dl/xenial,xenial 2016.02.22-1 all
                  downloader of videos from YouTube and other sites

Code:
                vinny@vinny-Bonobo-Extreme:~$ apt show steam
                Package: steam:i386
                Version: 1:1.0.0.48-1ubuntu3
                Priority: extra
                Section: multiverse/games
                [COLOR=#ff0000]Origin: Ubuntu
                Maintainer: Ubuntu Developers <ubuntu-devel-discuss@lists.ubuntu.com>
                Original-Maintainer: Debian Games Team <pkg-games-devel@lists.alioth.debian.org>[/COLOR]
                Bugs: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+filebug
                Installed-Size: 2,662 kB
                Pre-Depends: debconf, multiarch-support
                Depends: debconf (>= 0.5) | debconf-2.0, libc6 (>= 2.15), libstdc++6 (>= 4.3), libx11-6, xz-utils, libudev1, libxinerama1, libtxc-dxtn0, libgl1-mesa-dri, libgl1-mesa-glx, xterm | x-terminal-emulator
                Recommends: zenity, fonts-liberation
                Homepage: http://www.steampowered.com
                Download-Size: 874 kB
                APT-Manual-Installed: yes
                APT-Sources: http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu xenial/multiverse i386 Packages
                Description: Valve's Steam digital software delivery system
                 Steam (http://www.steampowered.com) is a software content delivery system
                 developed by Valve software (http://www.valvesoftware.com).  There is
                 some free software available, but for the most part the content delivered
                 is non-free.
                 This package comes with a fairly substantial non-free license agreement
                 that must be accepted before installing the software.  If you have any
                 opposition to non-free work, please select "I DECLINE" during the package
                 installation dialogs.   There are also additional agreements in various
                 parts of the application that differ from the original agreement.  In
                 other words, pay attention and read carefully if you're worried about your
                 rights.

this is/should be in ALL Ubuntu based distros

I am on Neon

VINNY
                i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
                16GB RAM
                Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

I am on Neon as well.
                  :~$ apt search steam
                  Sorting... Done
                  Full Text Search... Done
                  funnyboat/xenial,xenial 1.5-10 all
                  side scrolling arcade shooter game on a steamboat

lightyears/xenial,xenial 1.4-2 all
                  single player real-time strategy game with steampunk sci-fi

python-iapws/xenial,xenial 1.1.1-2 all
                  Python implementation of the international APWS-IF97 steam tables

python3-iapws/xenial,xenial 1.1.1-2 all
                  Python3 implementation of the international APWS-IF97 steam tables

steam/xenial 1:1.0.0.48-1ubuntu3 i386
                  Valve's Steam digital software delivery system

steam-launcher/unknown,unknown,now 1.0.0.53 all [installed]
                  Launcher for the Steam software distribution service

steamcmd/xenial 0~20130205-1 i386
                  Command-line interface for Valve's Steam
                  If apt search steam and apt show steam don't give you anything then you can add the steam repository:
                  Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20161112_122201.png
Views:	1
Size:	44.8 KB
ID:	643399
                  "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
                  – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

K, got steam installed from Konsole, then get this error when trying to run steam from Konsole:

libGL error: unable to load driver: radeonsi_dri.so
                    libGL error: driver pointer missing
                    libGL error: failed to load driver: radeonsi
                    libGL error: unable to load driver: swrast_dri.so
                    libGL error: failed to load driver: swrast

Comment

Replying to my own thread, found this on another forum that worked:

This problem is only present at Ubuntu 16.04. In ubuntu 16.10 install steam:i386 package from Ubuntu's multiverse repository (the repository is enabled by default) and most problems have been fixed. To fix on Ubuntu 16.04:
                      1. Recommended solution:
                        If you just installed Steam then make sure steam is closed and go to ~/.steam/steam/ubuntu12_32/steam-runtime/i386/usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/ and delete the link libstdc++.so.6.
                        rm ~/.steam/steam/ubuntu12_32/steam-runtime/i386/usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libstdc++.so.6

KDE Neon only runs on LTS versions, right? So it's on 16.04 and the above was the solution...but I have a solution, so rock on!

NOW - my only remaining bug that I've found is when I leave the computer for awhile and it locks out, when I come back my keyboard is non-responsive so I can't input my PW, have to do a hard reboot. The cursor moves when I move the mouse, but I can't click on the password field. Ideas?

Comment

Working...
                      X