Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Encryption and initramfs are NOT my friends!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So I guess I've been using Kubuntu problem-free for a couple of years now, so I've been spared a lot of tinkering with internal workings. Makes me a dangerous n00b.

Up until just recently, I used to boot up my notebook, GRUB would start, and I'd be prompted twice for my hard drive encryption password. Once for my normal partition /sda5, and a second time for my encrypted swap folder. Now, I start up my netbook, GRUB gives me what I would normally see, I enter my password once, and it fails out to the initramfs prompt.

After a bunch of mounting fails, I'm greeted with: Target filesystem doesn't have requested /sbin/init. No init found. Try passing init= bootarg.

I'm uncertain what version of Kubuntu I'm running, though looking through a bunch of .ISOs I've downloaded in the past suggests I might have been running Kubuntu 15.04 32-bit. I get a message saying starting version 219, and my GRUB version is 2.02~beta2-22ubuntu1.5 if that helps narrow things down at all.

Poking around the internet, I found a bunch of links that suggest a variety of fdisk commands to get me going again with a live USB boot, but it seems to me as though the fact my partition is encrypted is now screwing me over. Am I right in assuming that my drive needs to be UN-mounted for that to work, and it has to BE mounted to get by the encryption?

At this point, I've managed to Clonezilla the hard drive elsewhere in case it comes in handy for undoing my attempts at fixing things, though I'd really rather avoid needing to backtrack by getting proper guidance in the first place. That's where YOU, yes YOU come in! How should I go about taking on this encrypted drive problem?

Thanks!

Kubuntu switched to systemd in 15.04 and /sbin/init is a link to the /lib/systemd/systemd binary, so it is PID=1. Only recently did my installation of 16.04 stop referring to /sbin/init as PID=1 and now shows systemd as PID=1.
    The "version 219" more than likely is the version number of the systemd binary. In my 16.04 installation the systemd binary is at version 229.

I'll hazard a guess and say that your HD is having sector read problems where /sbin/init or the systemd binary is stored. Booting a LiveCD or USB and then running fsck on your HD "might" fix it. One of the guys with better knowledge than me about 15.04, systemd and boot recovery will no doubt chime in.
    Last edited by GreyGeek; Oct 21, 2016, 08:53 AM.
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Yeah, nope. Running fsck hasn't sorted anything. Starting to lose faith here. I'd really hate to blow the drive, but that's looking more and more like my future.

Comment

Working...
      X