This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Folder Sharing With A Home Workgroup?

We have been running 3 Windows machines and a Mac at home for several years. Since I frequently help others with their Windows-based docs and files, I had a folder on my machine that was shared to the entire house. Everyone had read/write/delete rights to anything in that folder, and they understood the advantages and the risks.

Now my machine is Linux (dual boot, so the Windows stuff is not gone yet) and I need to know how to make that same folder available again to the rest of the home network. I saved that folder to a usb stick when I made the switch to linux, and now I have that folder back on the hdd under my Linux profile. But since the Windows partition is still there, I could replicate that folder to the Windows part and share it from there, except I don't think that will work unless my machine is booted up to Windows instead of Linux. Is it possible for the other hdd space to be "open season" so things can be shared from there? Would I have to create another partition to do that?

Anybody have links to sites that give the quick and dirty on sharing Linux folders with a home workgroup? Or a doc describing how to?
    Home office = Linux Mint 18 working well Thanks to you!
    Home studio = AVLinux dual core "Conroe" 6750 P5Ke mb 6gb ram Nvidia GeForce 210 hopefully soon to wipe out Win 7 (all is 32 bit)

Apparently Samba makes this fairly simple? I downloaded Samba and did the share and permissions thing. I'm just waiting for one of the locals to tell me if they can see the folder.

If the folder is under my home dir, does that mean my user has to be logged on in order for the folder to be shared? Or is there some "better practice" way to create a generic path for folder sharing?
    Home studio = AVLinux dual core "Conroe" 6750 P5Ke mb 6gb ram Nvidia GeForce 210 hopefully soon to wipe out Win 7 (all is 32 bit)

Comment

http://www.howtogeek.com/191116/how-...-on-a-network/

woodsmoke
      sigpic
      Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

Originally posted by woodsmoke View Post
        Thanks....did that, but she still can't see the shared folder from her Mac. I should wait til she's gone and toy with it myself.

Comment

woodsmoke
          sigpic
          Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

"Cannot join as standalone machine" when I tried to do net join to my home workgroup.

There was also an extra samba gui config thing to install, that allowed me to set a folder to be shared with all users on the home network.

But the Mac still cannot see the share.

Found some other links to "how to" articles I will peruse later.....
            Last edited by soundchaser59; Oct 20, 2016, 08:45 PM.

Comment

Still have not figured out how to see a folder on my linux machine from my Windows machine, or vice versa.

Comment

Have you tried ntfs-3g and ntfs-config?
                That only works for Linux to Windows.
                "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
                – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
                  Have you tried ntfs-3g and ntfs-config?
                  That only works for Linux to Windows.
                  No, but I'll research it. Thanks! Linux-to-Windows would be ok, as that's really the direction that I need it to go. The other way would just be a nice touch, but not vital...

Comment

https://help.ubuntu.com/lts/servergu...ileserver.html

you need to setup the samba server.. above is the ubuntu docs for this
                    Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
                    (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

Originally posted by sithlord48 View Post
                      https://help.ubuntu.com/lts/servergu...ileserver.html

you need to setup the samba server.. above is the ubuntu docs for this
                      Thanks! Trying it now. That "security = user" line did not even exist in my smb.conf file, so I added it since the instructions assume it is already there.

Comment

Tried that, still no luck seeing my shared folder (located in srv/samba/share/myfolder ) from my Windows machine. I even tried finding it by IP address and the Windows machine says the computer is not found, even though the workgroup name is correct.

Comment

What version of Kubuntu are you running?
                          Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
                          "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by soundchaser59 View Post
                            Tried that, still no luck seeing my shared folder (located in srv/samba/share/myfolder ) from my Windows machine. I even tried finding it by IP address and the Windows machine says the computer is not found, even though the workgroup name is correct.
                            in your /etc/samba/smb.conf, you should have a something like this

[myfolder]
                            comment = myfolder
                            read only = no
                            locking = no
                            path = /media/myfolder

and in your /etc/fstab something like this

UUID="XXXXXXXXXXX" /media/myfolder ntfs-3g defaults,noatime,locale=en_US.utf8 0 0

yes?

Use blkid -command to get UUID of the device partition you want to share
                            Last edited by kent92; Nov 26, 2016, 07:40 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by kent92 View Post
                              and in your /etc/inittab something like this
                              don't you mean put that in /etc/fstab ?
                              Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
                              (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

Working...
                              X