Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need kernell header but can't download...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need kernell header but can't download...

Hi all!

I have a big problem..
    I need kernell heder for my brand new kubuntu 6.06 becaus I need to install a VPN client.

I can't download them using sudo apt-get because without that VPN client I can't access internet.

Is there a way to download the pakage using my window$ partition (that has a working vpn client) and then install them on the linux one?

Thank you & Bye!

Re: Need kernell header but can't download...

Is there a way to download the pakage using my window$ partition (that has a working vpn client) and then install them on the linux one?
    Yes, but it will take some work.
    (0) Before you quit linux:
    Make sure you can mount a windoze partition in Linux. If you don't know what I'm talking about, come back here for further instructions.
    Run the konsole command "uname -r". write down the result. That is the name of your kernel.
    Start Adept and search for "linux-headers-<your kernel>" go to package relationships and write down the names of the required packages, (probably, coreutils >= 4.0, linux headers-<just the number>, and libc6 >=2.3.4-1, but check anyway).
    Make sure that the required packages are installed, if not write down their names as well.
    Make sure you have all the packages that are required by the packages, that are required by the packages that are required by linux-headers-<your-kernel>,
    Repeat until you know everything you need.
    (1) Reboot in windows.
    Use your favorite browser (I hope its not IE) to go to http://packages.ubuntu.com/
    Use the site search function to find the package(s) you need.
    Download them and save them in a windoze directory that you can mount in Kubuntu.
    Write down the EXACT names of the files you downloaded and saved.
    (2) Reboot Linux.
    Mount the windoze directory that has the files.
    For each file: Enter the konsole command, "dpkg -i <the file> starting with the things that are required by the the things that are required by ... and working up so that the last file installed will be "linux-headers-<your-kernel>. Do not try to take any shortcuts in this procedure.
    (3) Have a beer, you've earned it.

Comment

Working...
    X