This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lean Kubuntu install as server

Hello, my name is Tjalling and I'm pretty new to Linux and very new to Kubuntu. My previous experience was with CentOS which I liked except I couldn't get my soundcard to work.
    One live CD with Kubuntu and I found out the problem wasn't so much my soundcard.

The Kubuntu desktop installation felt a bit excessive to my needs so I tried the Alternate install. (For example: I don't have a printer so I don't need all these print-tools. I don't need OpenOffice, themes, groupware, scansoftware, kppp, etc., etc.)

Basically I'm not using a large part of the installed features of Kubuntu. I can remove them of course but I'd rather have them not installed in the first place, that would also save a lot of time when installing from scratch.

Therefore it seems a good idea to install a server and then add packages where needed and that worked to some extent. If you're a more experienced user, what do you think of that? Does it makes sense or is it complete rubbish?

The difficulty I ran into is: how do I start up KDE and where/how would I make KDE start up automatically after a reboot? In other words: I install a Kubuntu server, I install KDE from the cli, what files do I need to run/amend to get a GUI?

Re: Lean Kubuntu install as server

Umm, Err. It's not that simple. I'm not sure that the server install includes an Xserver. I would think that the most conservative approach, which leaves you with a working machine at almost every step of the way, is to install the full "Kubuntu-desktop" (which does not install things like Open Office), and then remove things one step at a time, checking the continued performance of your essential apps, after each uninstall. Boring, I know, but why not just leave kubuntu-desktop and not use it?

Another alternative is to install Xubuntu, which is much lighter than Kubuntu, and then add KDE apps to taste.

Comment

Working...
    X