This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Multiple problems 16:04

I'm using 16:04 plasma version 5.6.5 on my PC. Processor is 4xIntel Core i5-4690 CPU @ 3.50GHz. Graphics is NVIDEA GeForce GTX 970. I have a dual boot system with Windows 10 and operating dual monitors.

The initial problem is that when I reboot, the desktop I've set up on my main monitor defaults to standard. The wallpaper and short cut icons on my secondary monitor stay there but disappear on my main monitor. If I put a wallpaper on my main monitor and a different one on my secondary monitor then when I reboot the main monitor wall paper then appears on my secondary monitor. I had a clean reinstall done of my system but this problem still persists even with the plasma upgrades.

I tried to follow the instructions in the sticky to give details of the system but when I open the konsole and type in dolphin it comes up 'QPixmap: :scaled: Pixmap is a null pixmap' and on the next line KSambShare: Could not find smb.conf!

Also when I go into System Settings - Startup and Shutdown, and click on the Login Screen (SDDM) icon a white asterisks appears in a red circle. This same white asterisk/red circle is superimposed on the KDE wallet icon in Peronalisation - Account Details.

I don't require a password to log in to my system but if I'm away from my computer then I have to put my password in to get back into it. I don't know why this is. I had wanted it so a password is required to get into the system. Sometimes the screen where I enter the password comes with the kubuntu 16:04 background, and sometimes it has the image I set as background. It seems to be quite random as to whether it will have my set image or the kubuntu image on this password screen.

Firefox seems to crash often.

Sometimes both monitors freeze and I have to turn power off by holding the power button in and then restarting.

I don't know if all these problems are related or are separate problems. Any help is most appreciated.

There are several bugs and issues with multimontor support in Plasma 5.5.x.

They should be addressed, at least in part in Plasma 5.7, which should hopefully be available in Kubuntu in the not too distant or medium future.

Launching GUI KDE applications (Dolphin etc) via the command line does usually give some output back to the konsole, some of which is useful to diagnose problems, some of which is less so and more or less normal. The messages you see for dolphin I don't think are critical to your issues.

I am not able to replicate the issue you have with SDDM and KDEWallet KCMs, but perhaps clearing any plasma or icon caches in ~/.cache/ & /var/tmp/ then restarting might help if there is some icon weirdness left over from the upgrade to Plasma 5.6.5 and frameworks 5.23.

Screenlocking options, including requiring a password after a certain time, can be adjusted or disabled in the

Workspace > Desktop Behaviour > Screen Locking

options.

Latest version of FF has been a bit flaky for some people. There are some threads on this if I recall.
    On #kubuntu-devel & #kubuntu on libera.chat - IRC Nick: RikMills - Launchpad ID: click

Comment

Working...
    X