X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

downloaded wallpapers

Hi,
    I'm using kubuntu 16.04
    i downloaded some wallpapers for my desktop , i wanted to know where these files are stored in my computer ?
    thank you

In ~/.local/share/wallpaper if you downloaded it using the "Folder View Setting" option. Any other way, say using your browser, usually in your Downloads folder.
    Last edited by GerardV; Jun 03, 2016, 12:08 AM.
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by GerardV View Post
      In ~/.local/share/wallpaper if you downloaded it using the "Folder View Setting" option. Any other way, say using your browser, usually in your Downloads folder.
      thank you

Comment

I hope I'm not going too far off topic, but wallpaper images I download on my own don't show up either in slideshow or one at a time selections. The only wallpapers I can use are those downloaded with "Desktop Settings".

Kubuntu 16.04
        Linux User #454271

Comment

Maybe you have to copy these wallpapers or images to ~/.local/share/wallpapers for them to show up in a slideshow.
          sigpic

Comment

Plasma 5 wallpaper paths

Earlier: How to add another path to wallpaper list?- https://forum.kde.org/viewtopic.php?f=67&t=89549

With the KF5 (1) the picture wallpapers are looked along the path:
            /usr/share/wallpapers/
            and
            $HOME/.local/share/wallpapers/

Special Plasma wallpapers - slideshow, animated, video, etc - are looked from:
            /usr/share/plasma/wallpapers/
            and
            $HOME/.local/share/plasma/wallpapers/

(1) - KDE Frameworks 5

The KF5 is following the Freedesktop specifications:
            https://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Specifications/
            --> https://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Spe.../basedir-spec/
            ----> https://specifications.freedesktop.o...t/ar01s03.html
            $XDG_DATA_HOME defines the base directory relative to which user specific data files should be stored. If $XDG_DATA_HOME is either not set or empty, a default equal to $HOME/.local/share should be used...
            Last edited by Rog131; Jun 05, 2016, 06:26 AM.
            Before you edit, BACKUP !

Why there are dead links ?
            1. Thread: Please explain how to access old kubuntu forum posts
            2. Thread: Lost Information

Comment

Thank you both. I've tried all three paths suggested. I have a large collection of high definition images in jpg format (1920x1080 or larger). None can be used as background images, whether static or as a desktop slideshow. I did download a handful of svg format images from kde-look.org which are usable as a slideshow. Images I have downloaded using "Desktop Plasma - Settings get new wallpaper" are jpg format, so I don't understand why I am not able to use jpg images I already have on hand. I know that compared to the overall package of Kubuntu 16.04, Plasma 5 and KDE Framework 5, the absence of my choice of pictures on a desktop is niggling, but still, this is something I have never had an issue with before and is something I have always felt comfortable doing with not too much effort. Now I seem to have met a stumbling block no one else seems to have encountered. I can find zilch in Google searches, Googlubuntu searches, KDE Community searches and searches here. Sorry, I am just frustrated with something that should be simple.
              Linux User #454271

Comment

Exactly where is your "large collection of high definition images in jpg format" located on your system? What is the full path to them?
                Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
                "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

I feel like a total idiot because I think I found what is wrong with my images. They all had the number sign (#) in the filenames. I renamed a few, deleting the # and they work fine. I thank all of you who replied. Snowhog, right now I have images at ./local/share/plasma/wallpapers. I did try the other paths before my epiphany, but I assume any of the paths will work now. And I apologize for taking over the OP's thread.
                  Last edited by notabug; Jun 05, 2016, 11:04 AM.
                  Linux User #454271

Comment

Originally posted by notabug View Post
                    I feel like a total idiot because I think I found what is wrong with my images. They all had the number sign (#) in the filenames. I renamed a few, deleting the # and they work fine...
                    KDE Forums - Can't set background if '#' character in file path: https://forum.kde.org/viewtopic.php?f=289&t=133042
                    Before you edit, BACKUP !

Why there are dead links ?
                    1. Thread: Please explain how to access old kubuntu forum posts
                    2. Thread: Lost Information

Comment

Originally posted by GerardV View Post
                      Hi, newbie here. I am having the same problem with my wallpapers. I located the files in the /local/share/wallpaper directory using the terminal but I can't access that folder from the wallpaper configuation settings. Is it a hidden directory or something like that?

f
                      If you think Education is expensive, try ignorance.

The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has limits.

Comment

The location is .local/share/wallpapers. The path is in your users home directory.
                        Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
                        "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog View Post
                          The location is .local/share/wallpapers. The path is in your users home directory.
                          Thanks Snowhog. It took me a while to figure out that . meant hidden and also when using the command line I wasn't paying attention to case. Derp!
                          If you think Education is expensive, try ignorance.

The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has limits.

Comment

Working...
                          X