X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can't install ImageScan! for Epson Perfection V500

hello everyone,

I'm totally new to Kubuntu, which I like very much and would like to use - everything is ok so far, except for the Epson V500 installation files...

On Ubuntu/Mint I'd (sequentially) click to install on iscan-data_1.32.0-1_all.deb + iscan_2.30.0-1~usb0.1.ltdl7_amd64.deb + iscan-plugin-gt-x770_2.1.2-1_amd64.deb (which I downloaded from the Epson site ages ago, though they still work on Ubuntu, etc).

On Kubuntu 16.04, as I click on iscan-plugin-gt-x770_2.1.2-1_amd64.deb, the "install package" of the Package Installer is greyed out (unlike the other two .deb files, which I can install). As a result, I can't launch ImageScan! and use the Epson.

Alternatively, I tried and downloaded the .deb files (64 bit) from http://support.epson.net/linux/en/iscan_c.html (the old Epson page where I got the iscan files above seems to be gone). Here I've got some problems with installing the bundle-1.0.0.x64.deb.tar.gz and specifically (from the little I learnt in Ubuntu - possibly not applicable in Kubuntu?)

$ tar -xvzf bundle-1.0.0.x64.deb.tar.gz
    tar (child): bundle-1.0.0.x64.deb.tar.gz: Cannot open: No such file or directory
    tar (child): Error is not recoverable: exiting now
    tar: Child returned status 2
    tar: Error is not recoverable: exiting now

so I don't get anywhere that way either.

Can you please help? I can't do without the Epson...and (hopefully) it's just a matter of installing
    iscan-plugin-gt-x770_2.1.2-1_amd64.deb...
    Thank you!!!

anyway, here're some info about my system (what I could gather):

- DISTRIB_RELEASE=16.04;
    - sorry "Alt+F2 then type dolphin then click on Help > About KDE" doesn't give any useful info about KDE...(that I can see..);
    - ~$ apt-cache show grub | grep ersion
    Version: 0.97-29ubuntu68
    Description-en_GB: GRand Unified Bootloader (Legacy version);

-
    Asus ZenBook UX301LA
    -
    ~$ lscpu
    Architecture: x86_64
    CPU op-mode(s): 32-bit, 64-bit
    Byte Order: Little Endian
    CPU(s): 4
    On-line CPU(s) list: 0-3
    Thread(s) per core: 2
    Core(s) per socket: 2
    Socket(s): 1
    NUMA node(s): 1
    Vendor ID: GenuineIntel
    CPU family: 6
    Model: 69
    Model name: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-4200U CPU @ 1.60G
    Stepping: 1
    CPU MHz: 1098.429
    CPU max MHz: 2600.0000
    CPU min MHz: 800.0000
    BogoMIPS: 4588.98
    Virtualisation: VT-x
    L1d cache: 32K
    L1i cache: 32K
    L2 cache: 256K
    L3 cache: 3072K
    NUMA node0 CPU(s): 0-3
    Flags: fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 api
    pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm pbe syscal
    tant_tsc arch_perfmon pebs bts rep_good nopl xtopology nonsto
    ni pclmulqdq dtes64 monitor ds_cpl vmx est tm2 ssse3 sdbg fma
    sse4_2 movbe popcnt tsc_deadline_timer aes xsave avx f16c rd
    adow vnmi flexpriority ept vpid fsgsbase tsc_adjust bmi1 avx2
    veopt dtherm ida arat pln pts

~$ lspci | grep aphic
    00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Haswell-
    troller (rev 09)

Are you changing into the Download directorty (or the directory you saved the file to) before issuing the commands?
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

do you mean with cd?

~$ cd /home/weword/Desktop
      weword@UX301:~/Desktop$ tar -xvzf bundle-1.0.0.x64.deb.tar.gz
      tar (child): bundle-1.0.0.x64.deb.tar.gz: Cannot open: No suc
      h file or directory

Comment

Yes, 'cd', but the default location for downloaded content is Downloads. So, in the console, type: cd Downloads and press Enter. Verify that the file is there: ls -la

If it is there, then run the commands.

Comment

I'm afraid, it doesn't work:

~$ cd Downloads
          weword@UX301:~/Downloads$ tar -xvzf bundle-1.0.0.x64.deb.tar.gz
          tar (child): bundle-1.0.0.x64.deb.tar.gz: Cannot open: No such file or directory

two questions, if you don't mind:
          - why wouldn't be possible to install iscan-plugin-gt-x770_2.1.2-1_amd64.deb ? something to do with the architecture, etc? or because it's "third-party"? I don't understand why - upon clicking on the .deb file - the system recognizes the application but the "install" button is greyed out...I've just tested it again on Ubuntu and there's nothing wrong with the file itself;
          -
          I also tested the cd downloads, etc procedure above on Ubuntu (same deb.tar.gz file) and the error result is the same. I don't understand this either. Is it possible that there're more ways of installing a deb.tar.gz file?

thanks again for your help.

Comment

Open konsole and change into the Downloads directory, which is where the file should be. If it isn't there, STOP! We will have to find where it got downloaded to. IF the file is in Downloads, then continue with the following steps.

Type: tar xaf iscan-bundle-1.0.0.x64.deb.tar.gz

A new folder will be created in Downloads called iscan-bundle-1.0.0.x64.deb

Change into this folder:

cd iscan-bundle-1.0.0.x64.deb

Type: ./install.sh (be sure to include the period in front of the slash)

This is all contained in the README.rst file which you can review/copy/print by opening the iscan-bundle-1.0.0.x64.deb.tar.gz file with Ark (right-click on the file and select Open with Ark and then clicking on README.rst)
            Last edited by Snowhog; Jun 03, 2016, 12:30 PM.

Comment

thanks tons Snowhog. Installation seems now to have gone through (sorry I should've looked at the readme.rst file myself).

unfortunately there's still something wrong (i'll explain here but can open a new thread if necessary) which makes me go back to my original question:

why wouldn't it be possible to install iscan-plugin-gt-x770_2.1.2-1_amd64.deb ? I have the file on my HD, and that's all i need to get the Epson going....:

ImageScan! for Linux>"could not send command to scanner. Check the scanner status".

sorry i repeat myself, but I have tested it (again) on Ubuntu and Mint, and the Epson works perfectly > installing the three .deb files mentioned above installs ImageScan!, etc.

For some reason Kubuntu (generally) works so much better on my PC than Ubuntu and Mint - once I've sorted the Epson, that is.

any idea? thanks again!

Comment

OK, I still don't know why the Package Installer doesn't like iscan-plugin-gt-x770_2.1.2-1_amd64.deb
                but I managed to install it manually:

sudo dpkg -i ./iscan-plugin-gt-x770_2.1.2-1_amd64.deb

so ImageScan! for Linux now works all right (except for a glitch i'll be reporting next).

Comment

Working...
                X