Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

running 15.04, safe to upgrade to 16.x through software upgrade?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

running 15.04, safe to upgrade to 16.x through software upgrade?

im asking this question because the setup warned me that some files arent compatible and have to be removed etc... and i really don't want to mess it up, is it safe to upgrade?

'Safe' is relative. Yes, it's safe, but 'no' too, as you are likely to experience changes you may not like, and, might not be able to overcome. 16.04 is different than 15.04.

Are you able to fully back up your /home directory to external media?
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog View Post
      'Safe' is relative. Yes, it's safe, but 'no' too, as you are likely to experience changes you may not like, and, might not be able to overcome. 16.04 is different than 15.04.

Are you able to fully back up your /home directory to external media?

home directory is for personal data right? they are the least of worries now as i installed a lot of packages and programs and would hate to do it again, i tried backing them up when i reinstalled my os but didn't work sadly.

i tried searching for some that went through this but found nothing, about the 'changes' are they errors or glitches or just features? i can live with the features but i guess its inevitable that i'd upgrade at some point so might as well do it now, what do you think?

Comment

Originally posted by Lostand View Post
        ...i installed a lot of packages and programs and would hate to do it again, i tried backing them up when i reinstalled my os but didn't work sadly.
        Not knowing which programs you installed, answering your question is problematic. If you installed programs from outside the Ububntu repositories, i.e. third-party applications, they may or may not be available in or compatible with 16.04. Even some existing 15.04 applications are/may not be available in or compatible with 16.04. Like I said, 16.04 is different than 15.04.

I would suggest that you create a Live USB of 16.04 and boot into and try it. While it's running, check the package manager for applications that you 'really want/need to have' that are installed on your 15.04 installation that you "can't live with out". Make notes on anything you want to know more about and ask us.

I'm not trying to shy you away from 16.04, but I do want you to make as informed a decission as possible about upgrading (or better, really, "replacing") your working, personally configured to your liking, 15.04.
        Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
        "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

It is confusing to be sure. When upgrading to a new version there are often many packages that are no longer used as they are replaced by something else. Usually these are system libraries and the like.

If you are not sure you can copy and paste the list of items and we can verify if things are ok. they probably are. Going from 15.04 to 16.04 there are probably some kde4 things around that are no longer used so some of what you see may be from that.

sent from my LG V10 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog View Post
            Not knowing which programs you installed, answering your question is problematic. If you installed programs from outside the Ububntu repositories, i.e. third-party applications, they may or may not be available in or compatible with 16.04. Even some existing 15.04 applications are/may not be available in or compatible with 16.04. Like I said, 16.04 is different than 15.04.

I would suggest that you create a Live USB of 16.04 and boot into and try it. While it's running, check the package manager for applications that you 'really want/need to have' that are installed on your 15.04 installation that you "can't live with out". Make notes on anything you want to know more about and ask us.

I'm not trying to shy you away from 16.04, but I do want you to make as informed a decission as possible about upgrading (or better, really, "replacing") your working, personally configured to your liking, 15.04.

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
            It is confusing to be sure. When upgrading to a new version there are often many packages that are no longer used as they are replaced by something else. Usually these are system libraries and the like.

If you are not sure you can copy and paste the list of items and we can verify if things are ok. they probably are. Going from 15.04 to 16.04 there are probably some kde4 things around that are no longer used so some of what you see may be from that.

sent from my LG V10 using Tapatalk

thanks guys really appreciate your help, i've just updated with no apparent problems, will update if something major happens.

Comment

Working...
            X