This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

wi-fi password

ok so i jus noticed something .... each time i shut the computer down an log back in i seem to hav to all of a sudden key in the password for the wi-fi which ive never experienced up until about an hour ago .... does any one of u knowledgable individuals hav a solution for me ?? please & thank u

We don't know what version of Linux you are running, but generally you should check the security setting for each of your connections.

If you did not enter a password at the time of setup, then it may be forced to ask each time you try to connect.

On 14.04, the Network Connection GUI has an icon (a "wrench") on the open connections window. Click it and you should see the Connection Editor. Double click on any connection and look at the Wireless Security tab. Check for correct password where required.
    Kubuntu 23.11 64bit under Kernel 6.8.7, Hp Pavilion, 6MB ram. All Bow To The Great Google... cough, hack, gasp.

Comment

i am using what this forum is named after as far as OS is concerned an that is KUBUNTU 16.04 ... also, i did what u suggested an after i key in my password in the WI-FI SECURITY section all i keep getting is this pop up window saying ....

FAILED TO UPDATE CONNECTION
      connection gateway ping timeout can not set property: value "37618816" of type 'guint" is invalid or out of range for property 'gateway ping timeout' of type 'guint'

what can u make of this an might hav some alternative solutions becasue me having to continually key in the password to get online is becoming quite annoying TWponkubuntu

Comment

I was getting the same error until I did an update of 16.04. Network Manager was part of that update and it was "fixed" by the new version. Are you doing daily OS update checks?

I went so far as to install WICD (another, earlier network manager) to be able to edit my connection configurations. This worked, but the real fix was from an update to Network Manager itself. This update occurred at several day ago. I can now edit my connections using Network Manager...

FYI using 16.04 for production work is still a problem and you do so at your own risk. I use it (16.04) for testing only, but have a separate hard drive with 14.04 installed, to do anything that is critical to my work.
        Kubuntu 23.11 64bit under Kernel 6.8.7, Hp Pavilion, 6MB ram. All Bow To The Great Google... cough, hack, gasp.

Comment

i dont no how to do that sir ... meaning IDK how to update network manager .. might u hav some instructions ?? also having another problem in terminal that i cant resolve .. when i try SUDO APT-GET UPDATE what i keep getting back is (user) is not in the sudoers file .. this imcident will be reported ....... i hav no clue what this is and dont no how to repair it .... basically i can not do any terminal commands ... im thinking about jus reinstalling because i can only take so much bs .. lol !!!

Comment

Originally posted by akqj10 View Post
            i dont no how to do that sir ... meaning IDK how to update network manager .. might u hav some instructions ?? also having another problem in terminal that i cant resolve .. when i try SUDO APT-GET UPDATE what i keep getting back is (user) is not in the sudoers file .. this imcident will be reported ....... i hav no clue what this is and dont no how to repair it .... basically i can not do any terminal commands ... im thinking about jus reinstalling because i can only take so much bs .. lol !!!
            You are using the command line interface from a terminal. While it IS the recommended method, you may also use the Update Manager provided by the OS.

An OS update is not hard, if you have Update Manager (on 14.04 it is Muon Update Manager) on your system, just run it.

First be sure you are online (could be a catch 22 situation if you cannot connect)

You can find it from the Kubuntu launcher (The Kgear icon in your task bar, bottom left corner):
            Select the following:

System->Update Manager

You will be asked for your login password...

Click the [MORE] button and Click "Check for Updates" or use Ctrl-R and let the process proceed.

You may be requested to perform a system restart after the update install is done.

=====EDIT=====
            If you cannot connect to the net, then a reinstall may be your only option.
            Let me know what is your situation.
            Last edited by TWPonKubuntu; May 24, 2016, 03:34 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

Working...
            X