Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Obstacle when installing Kubuntu 16.04: "No init found. Try passing init= bootarg."

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Obstacle when installing Kubuntu 16.04: "No init found. Try passing init= bootarg."

Starting new thread because the objective specified in the previous thread has changed. Am now attempting installation of Kubuntu 16.04. No longer attempting dual-boot. (In the time since the creation of the previous thread, I have obtained a new Win10 system for work purposes, and no longer need to preserve dual-boot capability on the system it replaced). My goal now is a complete K16.04 takeover of the XPS 13.

Here is the system:

Click image for larger version

Name:	xps13 system info.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	19.8 KB
ID:	649115

And here is the current drive partition status:

Name:	xps13 hard drive partition info.JPG
Views:	2
Size:	89.2 KB
ID:	649116

The system runs BIOS version A08.

The Dell F2/Setup utility has the Boot Priority Order configured this way:

+ USB Storage Device
    Removable Drive
    + Hard Drive
    CD/DVD/CD-RW Drive
    Network

The Dell F12/Boot Menu is configured this way:

+USB Storage Device
    Removable Drive
    + Hard Drive
    Diagnostics

I have followed the directions on the Kubuntu/Installation page on the Kubuntu UserBase Wiki.

I downloaded the 64-bit version of the K16.04 .iso file from here.

Per the instructions, I used the Windows File Checksum Integrity Verifier to generate an MD5 hash of the .iso download. The hash generated by the verifier matched the hash for the amd64.iso on this page.

Per the instructions, I used UNetBootin to create an installer, and did so on a freshly reformatted 16GB USB drive.

I booted the XPS 13, pressing F12 as I did so, and the system booted to a live K16.04 session, running straight from the USB stick. The boot sequence did not present me with an opportunity to install Kubuntu. In other words, I did not see this dialog window:

Name:	install kubuntu dialog.png
Views:	1
Size:	615.1 KB
ID:	649117

After a reboot/f12 maneuver, I selected the help option from the UNetBootin utility window. Here is a portion of the result:

Warning: fsck not present, so skipping file system
    mount: can't find /root in /etc/fstab
    [ 7.609716] sd 6:0:0:0: [sdb] Attached SCSI removable disk
    done.
    Begin: Running /scripts/local-bottom ... done
    Begin: Running /scripts/init-bottom .... mount: mounting /dev on /root/dev failed: No such file or directory
    done.
    mount: mounting /run on /root/run failed: No such file or directory
    run-init: current directory on the same filesystem as the root: error 0
    Target filesystem doesn't have requested /sbin/init
    No init found. Try passing init= bootarg.

From the UNetbootin menu, I have run the "check disk for defects" uitlity, and the results came up clean.

When I remove the USB, the system boots automatically into Win10. When I insert the USB stick and boot the system without touching any keys, it launches the UNetBootin window, which executes the "automatic boot" after 8 seconds or so. Then it launches K16.04. And it appears to work great; it even fixes my infamous Dell trackpad, which has been essentially unresponsive since Day 1 with Windows 7, and now 10. So I'd really like to get this figured out.

Thank you for any diagnosis and instruction you can offer.
    Last edited by 2muchcoffeeman; May 23, 2016, 11:24 AM.

Ok, if I get this right, you do not want Windblows on it at all, right?

I would format to FAT or NTFS, whatever you want first before doing anything about any kind of install.

then install.

I don't use Unetbootin I just use a cd / dvd and have never, as in never, had a problem if I formatted the drive first.

But I've frequently had OTHER distros, not Kubu, balk on a drive with a bunch of partitions.

woodjustathoughtsmoke
    sigpic
    Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

Thanks for the response.

The C:\ drive already is NTFS, so it would seem the partitioning of the drive is not the issue. Unless I'm missing something, which is very likely.

Also, I'm attempting an installation from a USB. The XPS 13 does not have a DVD drive -- though I can connect an external DVD to it.

And your assumption is correct: I want to wipe Windows off the system completely.
      Last edited by 2muchcoffeeman; May 23, 2016, 11:37 AM.

Comment

UPDATE

Woodsmoke's suggestion about the computer's filesystem format got me thinking: Well, the computer is NTFS, but what about the USB stick? I checked, and it was formatted as FAT32.

I have no idea if that's a problem, but I reformatted the USB to NTFS. Then ran UNetbootin fresh on the K16.04 .iso file, setting the newly reformatted USB as the destination.

After that process was complete, I rebooted the system while pressing F12, but never arrived at the Boot Options or UNetbootin screen because the system returned this message:

An operating system wasn't found. Try disconnecting any drives that don't contain an operating system.

I removed the USB and rebooted, and the system went straight into Win10.

I can't explain they "why" of any of it, but I offer it as a potential clue to what's causing the obstacle to installation.
        Last edited by 2muchcoffeeman; May 23, 2016, 03:19 PM.

Comment

FURTHER UPDATE:

It turns out that the installation window was, in fact, on the desktop of the live instance of Kubuntu running from the USB. The window was about 30x30 pixels square, tucked in a corner, and the contents of the window could not be seen. It was like a keyhole view of a billboard. There was no label on the title bar of the window to indicate it was meant for starting the installation process. I thought it was just a default KDE panel when I started poking at it with the mouse just out of curiosity, and discovered it was possible to scroll around a bit -- like using a toothpick through a keyhole to move around the object on the other side of the door so as to get a look at it.

Eventually the full installation window maximized, and installation proceeded normally.

So, basically, I'm feeling really stupid right now. But Kubuntu 16.04 is up and running. It's been worth it if only to regain functionality of the trackpad on the XPS. It has been non-functional since it came out of the box, loaded with Win7.
          Last edited by 2muchcoffeeman; May 23, 2016, 05:40 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by 2muchcoffeeman View Post
            FURTHER UPDATE:

So, basically, I'm feeling really stupid right now. But Kubuntu 16.04 is up and running.
            Don't be hard on yourself. I noticed that little box next to the cashew in the upper left corner as well and assumed it was a shrunken installation dialog. When I dragged it out to a reasonable size the controls were scrambled. So, I opened a Konsole and ran the installer the dialog would have called. I chased it down by editing the KGears menu entry.

EDIT: My msg posting has begun to work backwards. Emoticons appear as emoticon when I am composing, but after I post they appear as ASCII character equivalents.
            Last edited by GreyGeek; May 23, 2016, 06:06 PM.
            "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
            – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Yeah, a 'known' bug. One that hasn't yet been fixed.
              Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
              "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog View Post
                Yeah, a 'known' bug. One that hasn't yet been fixed.
                This but is getting a little "long in the tooth" as well, IMHO. Too important to not be working on, and it's been there quite a while through all the Alpha's, Beta's, and final release.
                ​"Keep it between the ditches"
                K*Digest Blog
                K*Digest on Twitter

Comment

Working...
                X