This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stuck in limbo on upgrade from Kubuntu 15.04 to 15.10

I used Muon to get everything up-to-date. Then I rebooted. Then I went back to Muon and it said a new version was available.
    So I selected the new version and followed the instructions. It downloaded everything and went to the "installing updates" part.
    It stayed on 0% for a while, never moved off of there.
    Then I minimzed the windows and brought them up.
    The update window doesn't refresh. You know, it shows the desktop background instead of text or anything.
    I see in "top" that the "wily" process is using 2.3 - 2.7% of CPU...
    I'm about an hour into this, I'm not sure what to do. I don't want to reboot at this point.

Any help would be apprecited.

Thanks,
    -AM

ETA: Okay, some of the guys on IRC got me to reboot (which worked) and then upgrade via command-line. It's working so far (10%...)

ETA2: It looks like the problem may have been that my /etc/issue file was modified and the upgrader wanted to know if it should keep the old file or use the new. But the UI didn't show me that so it stayed in a frozen state. At least, that's my best guess.

First, welcome to Kubuntu Forums . Net.

Second, yes, it is not advisable to use any GUI package manager to do a version upgrade (or any system upgrades IMO) because, as you found out, questions as to what to do with newer configurations that would overwrite existing ones require an answer by you, and these don't appear within the GUI package manager. That is why doing such maintenance from a konsole is highly recommended and strongly encouraged; you get to see what is going on.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Working...
    X