This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have problems after executing sudo dpkg --configure -a

VLC player would not open, so I removed and purged it from my system. I then re-installed VLC.

Next I ran sudo apt-get update, then sudo apt-get dist-upgrade. next I ran sudo dpkg --configure -a

I got the following error:

dpkg: error processing package linux-signed-generic-lts-vivid (--configure):
    dependency problems - leaving unconfigured
    Errors were encountered while processing:
    linux-image-3.19.0-56-generic
    linux-image-extra-3.19.0-56-generic
    linux-image-generic-lts-vivid
    linux-generic-lts-vivid
    linux-signed-image-3.19.0-56-generic
    linux-signed-image-generic-lts-vivid
    linux-signed-generic-lts-vivid
    E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)
    steven@steven-K1404:~$

Please help me fix my problem? Thanks

Well, you probably should wait for the RealExpertsTM . Just to offer that I've been having good luck posting this recipe for cleaning things up (with the apt):

sudo dpkg --configure -a
    then:
    sudo apt-get update
    then:
    sudo apt-get -f install

(although I've seen different sequences of these three commands, I use them in the above sequence)
    An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Thanks. I have tried those without success, in fact, when I execute 'sudo dpkg --configure -a' I get a long instruction which ends with missing dependencies. I don't know how to find them or install them when I do. Except for the lack of appearance of my third monitor K14.04 works pretty good. Thanks for trying. This mess started when I attempted to get the (recommended) drivers installed. I got some 3D movies and could not play them, and was working with default drivers at the time. Apparently I am going to have to re-install the OS to solve the problem and forget the 3D movies. No one seems to recognize the problem or the additional problems that have occurred as a result. Thanks anyway.

Originally posted by Qqmike View Post
      Well, you probably should wait for the RealExpertsTM . Just to offer that I've been having good luck posting this recipe for cleaning things up (with the apt):

sudo dpkg --configure -a
      then:
      sudo apt-get update
      then:
      sudo apt-get -f install

(although I've seen different sequences of these three commands, I use them in the above sequence)

Comment

After recent help by Qqmike and Dibl, my computer has returned to health, at least until and if I screw it up again. I learned a little more and hope to be a lesser burden on the forum as a result. Thanks all.

Comment

After recent help by Qqmike and Dibl
          ... and kubicle, don't forget! Dibl saves the day! (see my PM this morning)
          An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Working...
          X