This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Want to give Kubuntu a try

Hi new guy here and I need a fresh KDE disto, so I want to give Kubuntu a try, I have used Mint, mint debian, openSUSE and a few other flavors of Linux.

I have Nvidia video, so any thing I need to know to install this?

Code:
    01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation GK107M [GeForce GT 650M] (rev a1) (prog-if 00 [VGA controller])        Subsystem: Dell Device 0578
            Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 0, IRQ 16
            Memory at f0000000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=16M]
            Memory at c0000000 (64-bit, prefetchable) [size=256M]
            Memory at d0000000 (64-bit, prefetchable) [size=32M]
            I/O ports at 3000 [size=128]
            Expansion ROM at <ignored> [disabled]
            Capabilities: [60] Power Management version 3
            Capabilities: [68] MSI: Enable- Count=1/1 Maskable- 64bit+
            Capabilities: [78] Express Endpoint, MSI 00
            Capabilities: [b4] Vendor Specific Information: Len=14 <?>
            Capabilities: [100] Virtual Channel
            Capabilities: [128] Power Budgeting <?>
            Capabilities: [600] Vendor Specific Information: ID=0001 Rev=1 Len=024 <?>
            Capabilities: [900] #19
            Kernel driver in use: nouveau
            Kernel modules: nvidiafb, nouveau
    Looking forward to joining the Kubuntu community.

Bob
    Linux since 2008, Kubuntu 20.10
    *ASUS 970 PRO GAMING/AURA AM3+ AMD 970 + SB 950 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.1
    *AMD FX-8370 with AMD Wraith cooler Vishera 8-Core 4.0 GHz (4.3 GHz Turbo)
    *G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB DDR3 SDRAM -- Asus GEFORCE GTX 1050 TI 4 GB

Welcome.

Burn a Live USB/DVD from the downloaded .iso file and then boot into it and try it out. If everything works -- video, audio, networking -- in the Live mode, then you 'should not' have any issues installing/rebooting. Do the installation while connected to a wired network connection; do not do the install using a wireless connection. Also, do not choose to download while installing, or to update during installation. Perform those tasks after installation has finished and you have rebooted successfully to a working Desktop.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Thanks for the quick reply!

What do you think about using my openSUSE /home? What do I need to delete from /home to make the Kubuntu a completely fresh install? Or should I just start with a new /home and move over what I need?

Comment

Start with a separate /home partition for Kubuntu. The problem with using another installs /home partition are all the configuration files. While applications may be the same, how they were packaged and how the configuration files are created can be different from one Linux distribution to another and can result in problems.
        Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
        "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog View Post
          Start with a separate /home partition for Kubuntu. The problem with using another installs /home partition are all the configuration files. While applications may be the same, how they were packaged and how the configuration files are created can be different from one Linux distribution to another and can result in problems.
          Thanks Again!

Comment

So far Kubuntu does not like my nvidia. First attempt brought me to a black screen after the CD finished loading, second attempt was a long scrolling of noveau errors, and ended with this.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20151221_182626.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	808.9 KB
ID:	643103

Comment

So any way to turn off the noveau driver during the install and first boots, then install the proprietary driver later?

I would really like to give Kubuntu a try, and I have a spare partition to put it on.

BTW, where can I find the release notes?

Comment

Having problems installing on Nvidia

Hi, I tried to get some help in the newb section, but not getting any input. Hopefully will find something in this area?

Thanks

https://www.kubuntuforums.net/showth...-Kubuntu-a-try

Comment

as you had two different results from the same disk, I suspect a bad iso download or bad burn. Check your iso image, and burn the dvd at a slower speed.
                  https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Bu..._ISO_integrity

Using a usb flash drive is preferred these days, and much more reliable
                  https://help.ubuntu.com/community/In...e_from_Windows

You can try using a 'safe mode' graphics option when loading the live disdk
                  https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Bo...e_Page_Options
                  This should get you something that may work to allow you to perform the install, but I do believe that the open source nouveau driver should support your gpu ok, which is why I am suggesting trying a fresh disk or (preferably) a usb stick first.

Comment

I agree, NVidia should work. I have a Dell Inspiron 530 Desktop with the below NVidia card and all work well. Never had issues.

Code:
                    01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation G96 [GeForce 9400 GT] (rev a1)

Comment

I got it to install, had to hit F6 before the Live CD booted, and check nomodeset.

I also forgot the mention, I have the hybrid Intel/Nvidia graphics, the ones that you can use Bumblebee with.

Thanks for the input, and hopefully this will work for the next person in need.

Comment

Working...
                      X